Chicken constantly in & out of coop in daytime...Why??

Dot Mayo

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Somerset, England
One of my girls (approx 18 months / 2 years old) has been behaving strangely for about 3 weeks.
All, every day she keeps going in and out of the coop. She only spends 5-10 seconds in there each time and does not settle in the nesting boxes (even if there are eggs in there). I am not sure if she is laying at the moment.
She is eating well and is otherwise happy. She show no signs of being egg bound or broody - She just looks confused.... (like she is looking for her car keys!)
She is in and out of that coop literally ALL DAY - Dozens and dozens of times. She does not stray too far from the coop dispite having quite a large run.
Any ideas what is causing this behaviour? I've searched the internet and can't find anything.
Thank you.

ValerieJ

Straw parade on snow day
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
I had a hen do that for a while. She didn't want anyone to change anything in there. When I cleaned it, she was there complaining. When I collected eggs she would charge in there and then be all upset I took the eggs. Eventually she stopped popping in and out all the time, but still goes in to rearrange everything whenever I clean the coop. Chickens...:confused:

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
- She just looks confused.... (like she is looking for her car keys!)
This cracked me up! :lol:

She may be going neurotic, had a hen do that once.
I'd check her over real good....and the coop, might there be a pest or predator in there...insects, rodents, or snake?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Dot Mayo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-14_9-27-40.png

Dot Mayo

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Somerset, England
This cracked me up! :lol:

She may be going neurotic, had a hen do that once.
I'd check her over real good....and the coop, might there be a pest or predator in there...insects, rodents, or snake?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Dot Mayo
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1907629
She is one of just 4 hens, the coop is bug free, pest free, rodent free and snake free - It's just seldom chicken free with madam in and out like a fiddlers elbow!
Weather here in the UK is nothing unusual - Usual British nonsense.
I think she has simply lost the plot but since she is happily senile I will fret no more.

Dot Mayo

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Somerset, England
I had a hen do that for a while. She didn't want anyone to change anything in there. When I cleaned it, she was there complaining. When I collected eggs she would charge in there and then be all upset I took the eggs. Eventually she stopped popping in and out all the time, but still goes in to rearrange everything whenever I clean the coop. Chickens...:confused:
Hmmm, similar behaviour. This chicken has always insisted on being in the coop whenever I clean it - And gets quite vocal - Like she doesn't like me interfering with her space. Evidently just a crazy chicken thing.....

Top Bottom