chicken constipation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gracie_Chickie, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    What should you do when there is poop stuck on a chick's butt?[​IMG]
    We tried getting it off and she acted like it really hurt. When it was fianlly off the other chicks were pecking her. Is there an easier calmer way to do this?:eek:
    -Grace

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi Grace, welcome to BYC. I am going to move your thread tot he appropriuate catagory. If you look at all the forums, you will see the one that most fits your question for you to post in. THanks.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You can hold a warm washcloth there until it softens up or run her butt under some warm water until you can get it off.

4. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Thankyou terrielacy
    Thankyou mac in albilene

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They may not like it, but you must get it off or the chick will get pasted up completely and it can be fatal.

If the other chicks are pecking at the affected one's vent area, you may need to separate the chick to give it time to heal.

Good luck and welcome!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it happens again, you can also try holding their little bottom under the faucet, using a gentle flow of lukewarm water. You don't want the entire chick to get wet, just their bottom. As the material softens, it's easier to pick off, without it pulling. Some may just wash off under the faucet, especially if you didn't wait too long to do it. You can blot them dry with a paper towel or tissue after you're done cleaning them.

Keep an eye on your chick, to make sure the other chicks don't peck until there is damage. I think separating this chick temporarily is great advice. If the pecked area looks red at all, I would put a small dab of Neosporin on it, also.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    When mine had pasty butt, I used a warm cloth to soften the poo to remove it then I used Mineral Oil (baby oil will also work) on their rears to help keep the poo from sticking. You can also give the chicks a bit of corn meal to help them get rid of the pasties. Hope this helps!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by