Chicken coop base/foundation?

Jonathanlofgren

In the Brooder
May 21, 2021
Hi, this site is so helpful! We're new to chickens and are about to receive our coop/run. It's a4x8 coop with 8x8 run and both will be on the ground. The bottom of the coop is treated wood. We may move at some point and don't want anything too permanent. Can the whole thing just go on the ground? Would add cement blocks, cinder blocks, something else? Thanks so much!

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters a with a lot of things and foundations are one for them. :)

For example, I'm in central NC and here in the Steamy Southeast we usually put even treated wood up on concrete blocks because what wood the termites and other wood-destroying insects don't eat the climate will. :eek:

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters a with a lot of things and foundations are one for them. :)

For example, I'm in central NC and here in the Steamy Southeast we usually put even treated wood up on concrete blocks because what wood the termites and other wood-destroying insects don't eat the climate will. :eek:
Hi, thanks! I'm in Minnesota so it gets cold and warm.

You probably won't have as big a termite problem as we have down here then, but you might still want to put down either concrete blocks or treated landscape timbers to level things out and make sure there are no gaps between the base of the coop and the ground. Then anchor it firmly against storm winds.

And you will want to be sure that you have plenty of ventilation up at the top of the coop for two reasons:

First, heat and ammonia both rise and have to have a place to escape. Heat is more of a problem for chickens than cold is.

Second, you need to let moisture escape during the winter to prevent frostbite. Chickens can tolerate dry cold well -- even 0F and below -- as long as they are out of the wind.

Having generous ventilation at the top of the coop works for both summer needs and winter needs. :)

I'm glad I found this thread! I was just about to post a similar question. I'm also wondering if chicken wire for dig protection will hinder foraging or hurt their feet while they're in their enclosed run (they are only 5.5 weeks, so still a bit away from free-ranging). I want the coop & run to be semi-portable until they are old enough to roam a bit, so I was thinking of stapling chicken wire to the bottom of the weather-treated framework at ground level & countersinking pavers as a 'foundation', and just moving everything as the girls need. Not ideal, but it's pretty much my only option for the time being.

I'm glad I found this thread! I was just about to post a similar question. I'm also wondering if chicken wire for dig protection will hinder foraging or hurt their feet while they're in their enclosed run (they are only 5.5 weeks, so still a bit away from free-ranging). I want the coop & run to be semi-portable until they are old enough to roam a bit, so I was thinking of stapling chicken wire to the bottom of the weather-treated framework at ground level & countersinking pavers as a 'foundation', and just moving everything as the girls need. Not ideal, but it's pretty much my only option for the time being.

It's a better idea to put your predator protection, anti-dig skirt on the outside. Wire can indeed hurt the chickens' feet and it thwarts their natural instinct to dig and scratch.

You probably won't have as big a termite problem as we have down here then, but you might still want to put down either concrete blocks or treated landscape timbers to level things out and make sure there are no gaps between the base of the coop and the ground. Then anchor it firmly against storm winds.
Thanks! Do you put the concrete blocks or wood around just the perimeter? Would you use something like cinder block or would that be overkill?

I live in a very similar climate, most people put the skids of smallish shed directly on the ground with no problems for many years, as long as they aren't in wetlands, anyway. I would have and should have but went off on a tangent between trying to get the site level and then trying to move the best topsoil I've ever seen out from under the shed to a new raised bed I'm putting in.

Some put the skids on cement blocks. That has disadvantages that might outweigh the advantages in our climate. Some put the skids on crosswise piece of treated 4x4... that will give your attached skids a longer life. But the attached skids will most likely last longer than the rest of your shed anyway.

edit to add: i would put them under the skids, roughly evenly spaced from the ends. The shed is designed to be supported by the skids so putting a solid skirting doesn't have an advantage as far a support. The skirts block airflow under the shed, which is good to have even with treated wood and very important if your floor joists or decking isn't treated.

Last edited:
Thanks! Do you put the concrete blocks or wood around just the perimeter? Would you use something like cinder block or would that be overkill?

Whatever works best for you to form a level base to set the sides and corners of the coop on. People use many different things, including setting treated wood directly on the ground as long as it's level enough.

You want to give the chickens access to the natural ground on the inside.

You'll also want to put a wire anti-dig skirt around the outside to keep out any predators that might try to tunnel their way in. This is a good explanation of how to do that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/post-17093528

Back
Top Bottom