Chicken Coop.... Bottom of Run Area

randakay99

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
I have 5 Ameracaunas that are not ready to be moved to their coop yet, but I have ordered a coop and it will be arriving soon. It has a run attached, but it seems to me like something could dig and get it under the run area. Do you recommend adding chicken wire to the bottom of the inside of the run to prevent something from digging in? Is this something I should be worried about? I am new to raising chickens. Thanks for your help!
big_smile.png

In my experience the answer is...it kind of depends. If you will be locking your chickens in the coop overnight then the need to add something to the bottom of the run area is less important. However, chickens do like to scratch around and it is possible that they could scratch a lower area in your run at some point. I am getting ready to build a new chicken house and I plan to extend my fence down into the dirt a bit just to make the bottom area more secure. Hopefully more people will visit and give us both some great answers.

Thank you aart! We are going to follow your directions on that message board and make the apron. Appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom