Chicken coop design

AlvinsFinest

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Will a tin shed be a good idea for a chicken coop!? Thinking of just buying one at lowes! I am wanting to get a 8x12x6 tin shed with a steel frame and just building nesting boxes in it and build a run coming off of it! I'm planning to cut a hole in it for the chickens to get in and out of it! Do yall have any other ideas like this!?

I am in south Texas it gets very hot but plan on doin alot of venlation! It's not a problem for me to cut the tin I just hating workin with wood! That's why I am going with a tin shed!

Heat is easier to deal with that cold I think for insulation. If you can line it with ply that will help, at least the roof. Or put it in the shade. I live in hot climate and have two metal tractors but they are open on the sides except at the end. My girls seem to cope as well in them in the heat as in my main run.

Yes they will have lots of shade and plan on having a big run and just Covering it with netting so hawks don't get them!

I wouldn't use a tin shed unless you have lots of shade. Or you could just use it in winter. I built a PVC hoop run for my first flock and covered it with a tarp. The tarp didn't go all the down the sides so there was plenty of ventilation but sheltered from rain and sun. They roosted there until I built my coop. You could build a roost outside in a totally enclosed run for the hot summer months and take it down for winter, so they would roost in the shed during cold weather. You would still need ventilation of course, but you would not have to worry about your birds cooking in the heat. Most chickens can take extreme cold much better than extreme heat.

I plan on having to big of a flock to do that. I am thinking of just cutting long rectangle holes at the top of all sides and just putting chicken wire so nothing will come in but air can get in and out!

Tin should be fine the biggest need is ventilation. If you have very hot summers you can throw a reflective tarp over the top to help There are lots of different versions of tin construction ranging from a shed from lowes to corrugated structures. As long as you pay attention to ventilation. You want to get the humid air out in the summer and winter. Chickens can handle the cold but not a humid environment where condensation drips down the walls.

I live in a very hot dry climate and to be honest I use dog kennel panels with a big tarp over the top. Even in the winter. We get about 72 hours of snow and the tarp handles it fine.

Good luck.

deb

Will a tin shed be a good idea for a chicken coop!? Thinking of just buying one at lowes! I am wanting to get a 8x12x6 tin shed with a steel frame and just building nesting boxes in it and build a run coming off of it! I'm planning to cut a hole in it for the chickens to get in and out of it! Do yall have any other ideas like this!?

Last edited:
Just be aware Chicken wire keeps chickens in.... but doesn't keep predators out. Its better to use hardware cloth in the coop. and on the lower part of your run. i have had Racoons pull a leg off a guinea right through chain-link.

deb

I plan on having to big of a flock to do that. I am thinking of just cutting long rectangle holes at the top of all sides and just putting chicken wire so nothing will come in but air can get in and out!

Gonna have very good venlation and yes I forgot what it is called but I seen stuff that's like chicken wire but it's thicker and it's not circles its small squares!

Back
Top Bottom