Chicken coop distance from house and electricity

Yes, we will probably try the electric extension cord.

We are working on the design of the coop now. Any good articles about essential features in a coop? Do you have any recommendations on the litter management? I saw a few articles about the deep litter method (cleaning every year), but nothing about weekly/monthly maintenance. Or should I start a new posting in the design section?

Our coop is about 40ft from the house and downwind, so we hardly know it's there. In the winter, I run an extension cord from a gfci outlet on the side of the house to the coop.
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a nipple on the bottom for their water. I keep an aquarium heater in the bucket through the winter, beginning when the daytime temps are below freezing.
Been watering them this way for 3 yrs and it's worked very well. We're down to 3 chickens now and I only have to add water once every 3 weeks.

Yes, we will probably try the electric extension cord.

We are working on the design of the coop now. Any good articles about essential features in a coop? Do you have any recommendations on the litter management? I saw a few articles about the deep litter method (cleaning every year), but nothing about weekly/monthly maintenance. Or should I start a new posting in the design section?

I highly recommend to use the Purina Mills coop design. It needs some tweeking to be just right but in general a great layout and free plan.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/

You have to click on the drawing to get second page so I'll just add that link here for ease:

http://poultry.purinamills.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/ecmp2-0160674.pdf

Things to note:

Keep track of your chicken door height. Deep litter you'll want it 6" or bit more up from floor.

You certainly don't need a sky light and if you've rooster then that's sunup crowing. With nice run they will only use coop to roost and lay eggs in nest.

The nest they show is too high. At that height many birds will roost in nest mucking them up with poop. You only need 2 nests so just have it same height or slightly higher than chicken door. Put chicken door to edge and two nests can fit beside it. Or put nest box on one side or other keeping chicken door centered on front.

Back
Top Bottom