Chicken coop emergency!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chanamarie, Aug 4, 2016.

1. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    To keep a long story short, due to chicken math, I need another coop. I was planning on building one, but due to toddlers, my time is limited and two coops have presented themselves to me today....

1. A wooden 'bear proof' (the description goes) chicken coop that measures 3x6 and is 4.5'' to 5.5'' tall. Can be delivered to my house. Total (inc delivery) $200

2. A plastic shed I would convert into a coop. 8x10 with double doors and a window and floor. Would have to pick up, but not far. $125

What would you do? I need to decide tonight and I keep going back and forth. I like the idea of a really big coop, but also like the idea of something that is a very secure coop. (and I also like to the idea of less money!). My head is in a spin!

Need to let the sellers know tonight...

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Eighteen sq. ft. may house four birds; is that what you are looking for? I would go for the shed and modify it. Eighty sq. ft.! Eighteen birds! Mary

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'd go for the shed, too....then tweak it. :)

Ed

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Go big!

5. MRFarm

MRFarm New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    I'd get the shed and modify it.

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I also vote for the shed. The chickens wont complain about the extra space at all.

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    And the winner is.....???? [​IMG]

8. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    I could be wrong but I doubt that any structure that can be built and delivered to your house for $200 is going to be bear proof.

The shed seems a much better option one way or the other. I've yet to hear anyone say how much they wish their chicken coop was smaller.

9. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go the bigger the better. I honestly don't think you will regret it. A hefty electric charger and wire around the shed should take care of bears.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by