Chicken Coop for the wife

Jetdog, I had hoped to be done by now. Winter is refusing to let go of its icy grip. Last weekend we got an inch of sleet/ice with 8" of snow on top of that. So between the weather and not feeling well with a bad head cold I didn't get to do much on it.

The weather finally starting warming Tuesday and by yesterday morning most of the snow and ice was gone. I drove to Cackle Hatchery Wednesday afternoon and picked up the girls. There was a mix up on the availability of the French Black Marans so I changed to order to 3 Cinnamon Queens, 3 Black Stars, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are all doing well and growing like weeds. The girls already have several of them named.

I was able to make some progress on the coop yesterday. I got all of the hardware cloth on and the 3 windows installed. Today I am going to work on the door, roost poles, feeder/water mounts, and blocking off the spaces in between the rafters. If I have enough time I am going to start on the electrical for the coop. I plan on mounting and outlet on the inside of the hen house and in the run. Then I will trench it to the shop building and put it on its own circuit.

I have got to get all of this done as spring is approaching and our fruit trees are supposed to arrive this next week for our new orchard, plus I plan on doubling the size of our garden this year. I have over a 100 seedlings growing in the basement.

I couldn't have built this coop without all of the information on this great forum. Thanks to everyone for the help and info.

The foundation was a necessity because of the grade of the hill side. It just happened to work out that we were having our drive way poured in concrete so I was able to form it up and have them order a little extra on one of the trucks and just pour it that way. Between the hardware cloth and the concrete I shouldn't have to worry about any critters getting the girls.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the complements. Now that some of my friends have seen it they want to build one like it and get some chickens.

Your wife and her chickens are very lucky! Beautiful coop!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom