Chicken Coop Foundation

One possibility is to line the inside perimeter with 1 x 6 decking boards set on edge and up against the 2x4 base and verticals, then back fill (Pressure of soil/gravel keeps boards in place). I did that with a metal carport I have. Lined the inside with these, then backfilled with gravel. Works really well and super easy. If you like I'll take a picture.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather...d-Premium-Pine-Decking-Board-253944/206967716

These would work, too, and are cheaper. They are treated, but not for ground contact. They'd still last for years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-...-Treated-Dog-Ear-Fence-Picket-63099/301680328
So what your saying is basically add pressure treated 2 x 10s or something similar vertically around the edge of the run and fill the sloped area with gravel and soil?

So what your saying is basically add pressure treated 2 x 10s or something similar vertically around the edge of the run and fill the sloped area with gravel and soil?

A 2x10 is way too much (or any 2-by). Both the decking boards and fence slats are about 5/8" thick (as opposed to 1-5/8" for 2-bys) by 5-5/8" wide. Just lay the boards on their edge on the ground pressed up against the 2x4 base and vertical posts. Then place gravel or dirt up against the boards to hold them in place and backfill to the depth you like. I'll take a picture of what I did later.

Also, a nice thing about doing it that way is that you don't have to level the ground, but can level what you backfill with.

I'm glad I poured a concrete slab for my coop. It has made clean up a lot easier. The run on the other hand, I keep loaded down with several yards organic matter (mostly pine straw, leaves, straw, & hay) approximately 4-6" deep. Even with 6" of rain, it is not a muddy mess.

Here are pictures showing what I did. The first picture shows what a metal carport looks like at its base. Imagine that those metal pieces are 2x4s on your run. The second picture shows how I used 1x6 decking boards to contain gravel back fill (in another carport).

2019-02-20_145016.jpg

2019-02-20_145037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom