Chicken Coop From trash can house

chestypuller

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Alaska
Well i scored me a free house to put trash cans in someone didnt want anymore in our city, im going to use it as a start for the chicken coop, what do you guys think?

got any suggestions on how to go? i got some rolls of vynal for flooring but need to put a plywood floor in first.

open to suggestions.

thanks chicken people!

help me make my chickens happy.

i think its 4 feet tall and 8 feet long, maybe 2-3 feet deep also. both front doors open.

I can't quite see if there's any ventilation from under the roof/rafters. Regardless, looks like a good find and you're mostly done! Needs only the basics, pop door, roost, nests, and you could call yourself done. Then the run.

I'm sure if you post more about your climate/predators/etc you'll get better info. Looks like it's all plywood so no drafts.

/Scott

I can't quite see if there's any ventilation from under the roof/rafters. Regardless, looks like a good find and you're mostly done! Needs only the basics, pop door, roost, nests, and you could call yourself done. Then the run.

I'm sure if you post more about your climate/predators/etc you'll get better info. Looks like it's all plywood so no drafts.

/Scott

im thinking about insulating it, its alaska so it gets -20f at times in winter i dont think there is ventalation, its got the open floor and thats all i can see so far. whats a poop door?

Nail acouple of pallets to the bottom and add some legs, and you're ready to go.

ya i was thinking of makeing it taller then enclosing the underneeth for a run along with the front side, maybe have it 6 or 7 feet tall then i can walk into the run and open them big front doors of the trash house to clean it out, im gonna add a poop board and perch across the back and put external nesting boxes on the end maybe.

hows that sound?

its quite possable since the roof is jut plywood and no real roofing, i got some metal roofing im gonna put over it tho. my garage gutter is pouring on that side of the trash container right now, theres to much snow to get it into the back yard still, waiting for the melting so i can get it in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom