Chicken Coop Hatchway Dimensions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Daniart, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Daniart

Daniart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    First time chick owner & assistant coop builder here.....[​IMG]

Can anyone share the size of their hatchway dimensions? I'll have my husband place it a few inches off the ground to keep the shavings inside, but he's asking me how big the "hole" should be.... [​IMG] Our 4 chicks are about 6 wks old & I'm not sure what size they'll be once full grown. I know one of them is a Rhode Island Red & another is (my favorite) those super cute grey/black chicks with the fuzzy feathery feet. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Once I figure out how to attach a photo, I'd be happy to share a pic!

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Storey's Guide says 10 inches wide x 13 inches tall. My door into the nest boxes is only 9" x 11" and I have big Barred Rocks and they get in there fine. I have a people size door out to the run. So just somewhere close to either size should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007
  3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is roughly 10" wide by 14" tall and though they have to duck to go in and out, it doesn't quite hit their back (about 1-2 inches to spare). They are standard chickens and are almost full-grown. While I'm sure they can cram into small gaps, I wouldn't suggest going much smaller than 12" tall since they all seem to want to go out at once usually!

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yes I did'nt think of that. Mine come out a people size door and they do come out in a gush. They never do that going into the nest boxes.I would go with the larger size for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by