chicken coop heater pictures

If you don't heat the coops and the temps go below freezing, how do you prevent frost bite?
hmm.png

Quote:
Because they're chickens not people
tongue.png

They really do not get frostbite (in dryish, draft-free air) at freezing -- they produce body heat and their circulatory systems are fairly well designed.

I mean, look at "real" birds (cuz remember, chickens ARE birds) -- wild turkeys and crows and goldfinches and what-all do not get frostbite at normal winter temperatures.

Realio trulio, in dry draft-free air with a properly managed coop, most chickens are good down towards 0 F and many will be fine much, much colder than that.

Also remember the coop temperature is usually a bit warmer than outdoors on cold nights.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I used t oalways feel really bad for my chicken in the cold weather...and then I would see wild geese swimming in ice water, and think, wait a second, they don't mind the cold...

We all can heat or not heat our coops if we like. I do find it funny how many people say well look at the birds in the wild they do just fine with out heat. I agree that birds who are native to an area do just fine in that area. When it comes to my chickens and turkeys here at my house we are thousands of miles away from any place they are native. The birds that do say here in our winter do not have bare heads like a turkey and have differant pads compared to our chickens feet and so on. The same goes for breed who came from hot weather such as an Serama where Malaysias average temp is 85 all year. They will need extra heat more often than and Orpington.

Can a chicken or turkey make it with out any heat up here. It all depends on the winter, where they can get to stay warm, and the amount of feed and water they are given. Every year we have to teach the parents of my 4-H kids that yes chickens need a coop and yes they need to be fed more than just scraps and given fresh water, no snow is not enough if you want them to make it out of winter. Now that is not to say that we don't have people who try to do it the other way and are proud enough to brag that 2 of the 15 chickens they started with made it out the next spring. I have seen chickens make it till spring with little more than a very very tiny straw fort, fresh water and food, and a mild winter. But the cases of frostbite to the combs, toes and the little frozen solid chickens just don't seem fair as we are supposed to care for them and try and prevent harm to them the best we can.

Do I think an Orpington in Florida needs heat no. Do I think mine need an air conditioner no. So it all comes down to what you feel is right for your chickens in your area. I have been lucky to learn many things from this forum to help care for my birds and have passed on the information to those around me. No need to tell someone that they are waisting the time and money they have for the chickens they care for. Just my two pennies but I think whoever you are and where ever you are the choice for the health of your chickens is yours.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom