CHICKEN COOP. HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ms~Silkie~Girl, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I have baby chicks coming in a day or two, so i am working on my coop (we are renovating our shed into a coop). I was wondering what should do for roosting poles. I will have 26 chickens. How big should i make them (how long, how many) , and should they be round or square-ish.

~Trista~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    The flat end of a 2 x 4 board works great!

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:this worked great for me....i have had no feet. leg problems with my gals

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We used a 2 x 2 -- purchased 2 x 4's and split them.

5. JudyH

JudyH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    I bought dowels to use in their dog crate until it is time to move them into their coop (they are just now 2 weeks old) The dowels are pretty big (about the biggest that Lowes had). Would it be ok to use dowels in the coop?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  6. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I would go with the flat side of a 2 x 4 for adult chickens. They can completely cover their feet in the winter with their bodies and reduce the possibility of frost bitten toes. They won't be able to use them for a few weeks though. Babies might use a temporary low roost with a 1/2 or 1 inch dowel.

7. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't know why you couldn't. The 2 x 4's or 2 x2's were just cheaper and easier to install for us.

8. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    i don't know how i could put dowels in their living space for the first 6 weeks. See, we have a metal watering troth for their living space (funtil they get transfered to the chicken coop).

So how could i put dowels in there?

Thanks for your help!

~Trista~ [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    just cut you a couple of wooden block from 2x4's. you can cut them so they are just a couple inches tall. then drill holes the same size as your dowel rod in each block. put the dowel in the holes and screw them in or glue them in. set this in the bottom of your brooder and there ya go.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by