Chicken Coop in BASEMENT?

Also keep in mind cornish x are meat birds...in other words, birds raised up to eat the meat, NOT for laying.

Even a regular laying hen can get pretty messy. I have mine indoors just at night, I keep them clean and they still are terribly dusty and smell by the a.m.

Also some just dont do well inside. Mine all love to be out even in pretty icky weather.

where do you live that they have such laws? even in Madison, Wisc the capitol city, they allow a small flock right in the city..I think there are no crowing birds allowed, though.
My sister lived there and had ducks in her back yard for years..

tie two chickens together and pass it off as a rare breed of dog..LOL

...jiminwisc.......

Question: What is Histoplasmosis?

Answer: Histoplasmosis is a common fungal infection of the lungs that is most prevalent in the Southeast, mid-Atlantic and Central regions of the U.S.

Histoplasmosis is caused by the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum. This fungus grows in moist soil that contains bird or bat droppings; chicken coops are especially ridden with this fungus. Stirring up the soil during gardening or the cleaning of chicken coops can release the fungus into the air. When the fungal spores become airborne, they are inhaled and cause infection in the lungs.

Symptoms typically appear within 3 to 17 days after exposure and may include fever, chest pains, and a dry cough. Mild cases, however, may present no symptoms at all, or may be dismissed as a cold.

Chest x-rays may be used to determine if the typical lung calcification pattern of histoplasmosis is present.

You can prevent histoplasmosis by avoiding areas that may harbor the fungus. If you have signs and symptoms of histoplasmosis, see your doctor immediately because even mild cases of histoplasmosis can cause a serious eye disease, called ocular histoplasmosis syndrome (OHS).

Histoplasmosis can be treated and, in most cases, cured.

yuckyuck.gif

or as some folks say, get silkies and pass them off as ground parrots. All fun to the side how about a A-frame hutch with two d 'uccles . you can hide the nutch near some bushes or behind some of those white plastic lattice stuff.

Last edited:
What are the laws where you live. I would attend a city council meeting...freedom sometimes needs to be rewritten into some of our laws. Research when they outlawed the chicken and why.

Otherwise I have seen some coops that look like garbage cans. Do you get along with your neighbors...how many birds are you considering.

I had the chicks in the garage for 3 days before I said...enough gotta go...and built my coop. I would forgo the basement for the chickens. Best of luck

Or get a good sized vinyl shed or wood shed and have a few chickens in there. They would be fully enclosed in there and not a problem with neighbors.......I have that in my city limits.

It's my understanding that the OP wants Cornish X. A meat chicken.

SO..............Quadruple the poople.

You will have such a mess and the dust will be coming up through the vents.

This is NOT a good idea. It would be healthier to eat the chicken from the grocery store .........believe it or not!

Quote:
Better off getting some bantams, not those meat birds! They stink high heaven! No way I would have them in my basement which I have used the basement for baby chicks up to a month old to a confinement of a trio bantams quarantine for a month which it was plenty enough!

So triple the poop! And wire floors are not good for those Cornish X;s because of leg problems and breast blisters from laying on floors.

Back
Top Bottom