Chicken Coop Lighting

welcome-byc.gif

Personally I don't use a light in my coop, I prefer to let nature run it's course. Many do add supplemental light to increase egg production and there are numerous thread discussions on the subject under egg laying/behavior forum. I would suggest you search those for the question and read thru those before you make an investment in this plan. If you do decide to pursue it pay attention to exactly how and when to add the light. And then, if this is the plan, post your question there for more opines and specific information.

I'm new to chickens myself, but have a friend who has had them for years and has been a good source of info for me. He has white Christmas lights, the icicle type, that he uses during the winter on a timer. Their designed to be outside and are inexpensive. I wouldn't think they put out much light, but he says it works for his birds. Says egg production barely slows.

Thankyou, I'm still researching!
I am proud to hear you are. IMO it's best to know sequelae of our actions before jumping in.

There is no scientific evidence that adding supplemental light properly will adversely effect the lifespan or longevity of egg production as long as the timing is appropriate and they are allowed a break from it to molt and replenish themselves every 12-18 months.

Back
Top Bottom