Chicken coop vs Hurricane Earl

obxWaMi

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
OBX, NC (Roanoke Island)
Well, we are prepared about as good as we can be. Earl is nearly upon us. We are under mandatory evacuation orders, but we are staying put. It is 6pm and we've been told to expect the worst between 7pm tonight and noon tomorrow. So far we have only light wind gusts, but the surf is really kicked up! We've drilled anchors into the ground on each side of our big coop and used ratcheting straps across the top to tie the coop to the ground. Thankfully it's up off the ground about 3 feet. We are going to leave the 16 chickens we have in there where they are unless it gets really bad.
We've prepared the garage and will move the 5 older girls in there after they go back into their little coop. The little coop is made from pallets sided with cedar shakes. They are only put on with shot nails so we don't expect it to fair too well. We could be pleasantly suprised...

Will update the conditions after the storm is past--and after our power and internet are restored. Hope it doesn't take as long as with Hurricane Isabel. We were without power for 11 days and since we are on a well that meant no water as well...

QUESTION????? Does the Weather Channel show what's going on here on your cable channel??? It has been the only thing reported on here for the entire day.

Not sure if this helps or not
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...0/09/02/AR2010090203427.html?wprss=rss_nation
I will be thinking of you and you chicks stay safe
fl.gif
hugs.gif

fl.gif
Good luck to you and your family. Please, if it gets bad DO NOT GO OUT to rescue those chickens. Flying debris will kill. Keep yourself safe. I'll be saying my prayers for you and everyone in the path of Earl.
hugs.gif

obxWaMi,
OMG!!! and I thought I had problems, coyotes, hawks, neighbor's dog..............but to have to hurricane proof a hen house. WOW!
But then I live in the middle of Texas, so I've not had any first hand experiences. TV footage is close enough for me!!!
I called my friend who lives on the east coast last night to see how she's doing, she's been through enough hurricanes to know what to expect..... (but she doesn't have any chickens to worry about). So now I'll be thinking about her and you and all other folks who'll be looking out for their flocks during Earl's visit.
Best of luck
thumbsup.gif

Best of luck riding out the storm, i live in southeast texas on the coast so i know what you are going threw.

Hang on , for the wind ride it's a powerful force.

Last edited:
Good luck!

Just wanted to say, my DH was one of the tree trimmers that came from DTE - Michigan to help restore after Isabel
smile.png
Hope he doesn't have to head out for Earl! Hope Earl magically calms down for you guys!

Back
Top Bottom