Chicken coop vs Hurricane Earl

we are in newport news va. about an hour and a half north but still .5 a mile from the water. we used to get a little flooding in the run area but i put down 3 inches of sand during the summer. this will be the first big test to see if it was worth it. i think it will be. i also tarped the roof of the run in case any branches come down so they wont go through it.

i was down in elizabeth city earlier today making a delivery. coming home was a pain in the butt. god luck to you guys.

We watched Earl pass by a bit further North than our Island, so felt no ill effects, we now see Gaston looking as if it might come MUCH closer, and there is a wave/depression following on from that.

Worrying times.

Good luck and hoping it passes you by. Like some one else wrote, If it's getting nasty out there.... forget the birds.

I'm just glad we aren't supposed to get tropical storms force winds until later tonight. I don't think I could catch the chickens right now to put them up. But no matter how bad it gets I have to be to work in the morning (that's one disadvantage to working at a factory which uses a lot of chemicals...all the employees are emergency responders so we can clean up spills if any of the tanks get ruptured) so I hope the brunt of the winds happen tonight when at least I am home to block windows if they blow and keep the family safe.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the TWC, but Fox News has been talking about nothing but Hurricane Earl for at least the last hour ( i haven't been watching all day). I'm pretty sure all eyes are on Earl right now.

Stay inside and stay safe.

Where I'm at, its been good kite flying weather all day, it's sprinkled a tad bit. When you live in hurricane alleys, you know the wind comes long before the actual storm itself gets there, but then again, I live an hour inland, and not right on the coast.

I cannot imagine. I will pray for your family and your birds. We here in Michigan have never had a Hurricane come through.

Let us know when it is by and you and birds are fine...

Dave

Notfeeling good about the next one coming....................

Be safe and these things flood!!! That is the major issue even inland. Polk county got hit by 3 in one year and it just totally flooded stuff and trees went down. I have an oak over my house, i hate it! I am putting a plan together just incase. i just could not bare the thought of my chickens drowning
sad.png

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/02/trough-earl-going-hurricanes-gone-follow/

Last edited:
Good luck everyone. You will be in my thoughts
fl.gif
and so will your girls. I grew up in Florida but was really lucky and never had to weather a hurricane. Andrew almost got us (we lived in Key West) but turned right before it hit us. Let us know the good news when you are safe and sound after the storm.

Back
Top Bottom