Chicken cote (update in post#12 of thread).

Quote:
Speaking of Jerry Springer...

Not entirely certain why a new thread was started but actually -as I type this perhaps I do-

There's a phenomenon that happens on forums where ideas put forward are dismissed by people that don't agree. That's why it's called a forum. Open exchange of ideas -

Threads die by a thousand scratches -ever notice that?

When it came to my attention that Yashar had started a new thread regarding the cote here

I was excited to read his thoughts on the matter, view his photographs and weigh in - contribute if possible.
He was obviously eager to start afresh as there are more than a few castigating withering attitudes that stomp in and out of threads. This is the reason I left this one- so that this thread wouldn't be weighed down by petty instigators.

I've created another thread here about the history of the sheltering chickens.
This may be interesting for those of you interested in the context of the topic.

It's important to actually read entire threads before weighing in. You can read some really objective back and forth between people that actually read what is written and are intellectually curious about the topic. Or you could be a head pecker- dodge right through the chicken coop door and start a pecking - clucking - reacting- without any tangible comprehension of the subject matter.
Head peckers are always right because they have an opinion- an opinion everyone else is entitled to...
hmm.png

I'm concerned that threads become weighed down in pettiness and that people begin to pile on more reactionary rhetoric that is in response to something that's been misconstrued -an idea or a tiny fragment of a larger concept taken out of context- the sniping amounts to a misinformation campaign, which ensures the thread disintegrates into nothing.

What is the objective of this forum? I guess it comes down to each individual. What is the objective of your visit to the forum? Is it to share information and ideas?

Last edited:
It seems to me that a roost that is 3-4 ft. off the floor in a coop would satisfy the need for chickens to feel elevated and therefore safe.
As I am new to owning chickens I could be all wrong about this. Do you think they really know if they are 4 ft. or 10 ft. off the ground when in a closed coop? Just wondering...
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Carrie Lynn,

Put a roost up another foot and chickens will move up. The only thing stopping them will be their weight if they have to make a big leap.
Joe

Quote:
I don't think you have to put roosts up very high if they are in a safe place. But if you can free up space by taking advantage of vertical construction, then you have make your coop "bigger."
I think if you have the roost, the food, and the water where they have to "work" to get it. Then you have done a good thing.

I have some roost that are very high in a few of my structures, and some of the birds rarely come down except to eat and scratch around a bit. These are more of a wild type (Koro Sea, Ponape, Kiri Kiri).

Back
Top Bottom