Chicken cote (update in post#12 of thread).

welsummer4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I Googled "chicken cote" but the search results were pretty useless. Can anyone who's built one post pics, or post links to sites with good info about cotes?
Thanks,
A.R.

Last edited:
I think it's just different terminology for a "chicken coop" or a "hen house." Usually you read or hear about dove or pigeon cotes; that's just what they typically call housing for these birds.

Quote:
That ladder is way too steep for a chicken to use! And the coop itself seems more appropriate for a dove or pigeon than a chicken.

I've never ever heard "cote" used for anything but pigeons and doves. I think this is just sales-pitch labelling.

The Forsham item from the link is just *preposterous* IMHO, for anything other than conversation-piece housing for maybe 2-4 hens in an always-mild climate. Very silly. North Americans should note that Britain lacks raccoons or possums, and while in principle it is probably possible to build a coop on posts with enough overhang to defeat those climbers, the relatively small amount of overhang in the Forsham one would be pretty risky IMHO in North America.

If a person wants a dovecote-shaped chicken coop, just for purty, then my suggestion is to look at pictures/plans for actual garden-type *dovecotes* of sufficient picturesqueness and just rejigger the inside and opening sizes for chickens.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom