Chicken cote (update in post#12 of thread).

Delighted you can weigh in here- I'm sure we're all waiting for more.
pop.gif

I certainly did not begin this thread to disrespect anyone or their work. I genuinely wanted to learn about cotes because I'm also interested in good stewardship. The fact is, it's impossible to trust any information when presented as a means to sell something.

I use and sell Resolution's Forage Cakes because I believe they are good products that benefit my chickens. That said, I rarely read any of his posts here because he so blatantly uses this forum to market Forage Cakes. It's not that I disrespect him or his accomplishments, it's just that I can never tell if he's truly sharing his insights or just trying to move product. I feel the same way about these cotes.

I'm not a jerk who comes on to this forum to stir pots, I just get a little hot under the collar when I sense that folks are trying to sell me something. And this is coming from someone who makes his living selling things, including backyard chicken supplies. BYC is an educational website and forum, so I think it's important that the information provided here not be diluted by marketing.

Last edited:
So then please tell me HOW (not in fancy language, but specifically in dimensions and numbers and so forth) one of these things differs from the common type of backyard coop of (say) a 10x10 shed (8' high) with a good-sized 6'-high run.

Exactly WHERE is the extra "flying space" that regular backyard-coop chickens are being deprived of?

Resolution, please remember lots of us are on dialup and not really into spending a lot of extra waiting-around time to load posts whose many pics are purely decorative and not essential to the topic being discussed...
wink.png

Thanks,

Pat

I'm going to continue on without taking anyone's bait.

I'm not a carpenter and never have been- as such I'm not selling anything. There's obviously a number of nutrition products designed by me that are on the market because there is need for them. Some of the products are sold by my own company. Other products of my design are sold by other companies that do not belong to me. If you read my posts you'll see that I spend quite a bit of time talking about husbandry issues, substantiating them with science and then providing potential solutions for them. Yes. Without a doubt, my animal nutrition products company provides the best solutions. That's what they're designed to do. Other companies try their best as well. I'm contributing ideas. You can take them or leave them.
Do I need to "move product"? That's a presupposition on your part. New concepts have to be defined-
The sales of these specific kinds of products- novel products- speak for themselves. Tens of thousands of people use extruded kibbles today. There was no such thing as extruded kibbles for fowl until my company introduced them. There are now five different companies selling their own extruded kibble poultry /gamebird feeds. Sales for all these companies is brisk. It's a growing market for all of us.
One company is making a knock off of our foragecakes. It's called the flockblock. Major feed companies are selling much more extruded kibble than I am. It's the concepts behind them that I've introduced successfully. Do I wish I was making a commission off these other companies- these major feed corporations selling products a whole lot like mine? You betcha!

I can assure you selling chicken feed is not my primary income. It should be clear that people only need to buy my products once or twice a year. People go out and buy hundreds of pounds of traditional feed every month. People generally use supplements only when necessity calls for it. I'll leave you to do the math. I will continue to discuss the value of extruded kibbles and whole grains over commercial pellets as frequently as people write in for advice with a sick chicken. Anyone can take a precursory glance over the daily threads to see how often it is that people write in with sick chickens and how often that bacterial infections are at the root of these problems. If you take issue with my solutions - my resolve to end the cycle of disease and infection in poultry flocks, so be it. It doesn't effect my resolve.

As for selling cotes _ I'll need to underscore- I'm not a carpenter and I'm not trying to sell you anything.
That said, I'm also not trying to say what you are doing= your husbandry protocols are wrong.
I'm just contributing some different perspectives on husbandry.

With that, I'm moving to a new thread so as to not agitate or divide readers. My future thread on this topic should be avoided by people on dial up because it will be photograph heavy.

I have a sense of humour. Please do not take my didactic writing style as an indication of personality.
parakeet.jpg

When I was a little boy I lived in a cage with nothing but a mirror and some cuttlebone.
One day my human gave me a plastic toy and it nearly led to my demise as my little heart nearly burst from the unwanted stimulation. I was living on a bachelor diet of budgie seed - bad cholesterol-so I nearly had a heart attack.
Then they took my mirror away and tried to foist a female on me and then she tried to bite my head off.
Cat got her- poor thing- but at least I got my mirror back.

Last edited:
Exactly WHERE is the extra "flying space" that regular backyard-coop chickens are being deprived of?

Reposting because I really would like to KNOW, this is not "baiting" in any way, this is trying to find something out
tongue.png

Pat​

Quote:
Res has started a new thread but hasn't posted to it yet.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428013 really this is about husbandry and methods that you can try if you like many of us use some/all of Res's methods of husbandry feeding, living spaces and modifying his ideas to fit our space available for our birds......what a difference it has made at my house. Cote/coop whatever you want to call it chickens need to use their wings for their health and well being if feeding tables don't work at your house don't use them but flying up to eat keeps food much cleaner I would have never thought of the idea myself and will be spending time making more tables and mine have to fly into the Coop or use the step to hop still must use a little wing power all things I've tried and liked from Res and the poop slings are the greatest. I'm using his feed too and it really has cut my feed bill best though is the eggs and overall healthiness of my birds. Try reading through some of his old threads and if you have questions just ask him he always gets back to me

AncientpigeonhouseEgypt44AD.jpg

Understood. I'm getting to it in good time.
Medinet_Madi_15.jpg

Ancient Egyptian adage #2.
fayoumi.jpg

An answer brings no illumination unless the question has matured to a point
where it gives rise to this answer
which thus becomes its fruit.
Therefore,
learn how to put a question.

dakhlaegypt.jpg

Last edited:
NNNNICE... wow... super read.... just like my favorite read...National Geographic... Your writing style is wonderful.... thanks for such visual input!!!
Losta paints writes:
Res has started a new thread but hasn't posted to it yet.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428013 really this is about husbandry and methods that you can try if you like many of us use some/all of Res's methods of husbandry feeding, living spaces and modifying his ideas to fit our space available for our birds......what a difference it has made at my house. Cote/coop whatever you want to call it chickens need to use their wings for their health and well being if feeding tables don't work at your house don't use them but flying up to eat keeps food much cleaner I would have never thought of the idea myself and will be spending time making more tables and mine have to fly into the Coop or use the step to hop still must use a little wing power all things I've tried and liked from Res and the poop slings are the greatest. I'm using his feed too and it really has cut my feed bill best though is the eggs and overall healthiness of my birds. Try reading through some of his old threads and if you have questions just ask him he always gets back to me

I can attest to the same.... The very idea of going to the dollar store and spending a little extra spices really packs a whollup...I am still learning about cotes as I have a piece of real estate earmarked for a new updated chicken house... I cannot express how delighted I am with the changes in my husbandry and how my life and chickens lives have been transformed... it is really thinking "outside the box"!!! The idea the a tumeric has studies all over the world attesting to it's benefits in treating and preventing Coccidiosis.. well that right there makes it worth the whole dollar!!!
smile.png

and Cayenne.. I have used this as for myself for years.... why not for my chickens.. yep that works... I would like to see some schematics and price workups if anyone would like to send them...You may pm me with them. I am interested in the designs.. this will be my spring/summer project...I can start material shopping now...

Yashar
You mention a coating on the glass??? Tell me some more about that please.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Resolution,
Why do you write in this enigmatic style? I assume the above quote refers to my initial question about cotes?

Is this question put well enough to be worthy of your fruit?:

When designing my chicken dwelling (i.e., cote, coop, "hens' hause") what specific features should I incorporate to most enhance the well-being of my flock? Don't just sell me on the virtues of your preferred style of chicken dwelling, but actually share practical information, including measurements and construction specs, that I can use when building my own. If you don't possess the skills necessary to provide this information, please direct me to a source who does.

If you truly care about stewardship (I use "stewardship" because I think it is more applicable to the backyard flock than "husbandry," "husbandry" being an agricultural term [that's not to say farmers shouldn't be good stewards of their land and animals]), why not just graciously share your expertise without being so baroque and/or verbose that I can't extract any useful information? Even the history you provide is enjoyable and informative, so just start off there and skip the superfluous pics and ancient adages.

Last edited:
Quote:
Reposting because I really would like to KNOW, this is not "baiting" in any way, this is trying to find something out
tongue.png

Pat

The extra flying space appears to be in the height of the structure. I think the term "cote" would be used to describe a tall bird structure capable of allowing birds to perch higher than four to five feet. A coop on the other hand is usually a structure just tall enough for the caretaker to walk in to and birds roost three to four feet off the floor.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom