Chicken coughing/sneezing

mamak77

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Our 6 month old Marans has been sneezing or coughing for two weeks. No runny nose, nothing lodged in her nostril that I can see, no wheezing that I can hear at all. We have had her separated and been giving her VetRx, electrolytes and she is drinking and eating ok, although not much. Her poop seems normal. She didn’t really want to walk around much today when we had her outside but I don’t think the poor thing is sleeping because she keeps sneezing or coughing so frequently. Nobody else in the flock has these symptoms, although we just found her sister this evening listless and pale combed, but no coughing or sneezing. I’m not very experienced so any help is appreciated. I took a couple pics of her face. I also have a video of her behavior but can’t figure out how to put it here 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• 4DAF9D82-B29C-475A-8200-06AFE30C688A.jpeg
    4DAF9D82-B29C-475A-8200-06AFE30C688A.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 309D9BF6-DECE-4889-B166-601F77D232F2.jpeg
    309D9BF6-DECE-4889-B166-601F77D232F2.jpeg
    660.5 KB · Views: 4
Is there any possibility of taking her to a vet? Have you seen any bubbles or foam in her eye? Can you try to get her drinking more fluids? Some chickens don’t like electrolytes in their water and may not drink. Tylosin, doxycyline, and some other antibiotics can treat symptoms of MG, if that is what she has. She also could have a virus, such as infectious bronchitis, which antibiotics don’t help much. It can be hard to tell one disease from another without testing, and there are a handful of them.

Our 6 month old Marans has been sneezing or coughing for two weeks. No runny nose, nothing lodged in her nostril that I can see, no wheezing that I can hear at all. We have had her separated and been giving her VetRx, electrolytes and she is drinking and eating ok, although not much. Her poop seems normal. She didn’t really want to walk around much today when we had her outside but I don’t think the poor thing is sleeping because she keeps sneezing or coughing so frequently. Nobody else in the flock has these symptoms, although we just found her sister this evening listless and pale combed, but no coughing or sneezing. I’m not very experienced so any help is appreciated. I took a couple pics of her face. I also have a video of her behavior but can’t figure out how to put it here 🤦🏻‍♀️
Is there any possibility of taking her to a vet? Have you seen any bubbles or foam in her eye? Can you try to get her drinking more fluids? Some chickens don’t like electrolytes in their water and may not drink. Tylosin, doxycyline, and some other antibiotics can treat symptoms of MG, if that is what she has. She also could have a virus, such as infectious bronchitis, which antibiotics don’t help much. It can be hard to tell one disease from another without testing, and there are a handful of them.
Thanks for replying. The closest vet to us that will see a chicken will charge $50 just for the visit, then for whatever tests and medicine on top of that and I’m not sure that I can do that this close to the holidays especially 😭 she doesn’t have bubbly or foamy eyes. I’ll try plain water and see if she will drink more. Her comb was pretty pale a few days ago but now is red again, but she’s still coughing or sneezing, whichever it is. It’s so weird.

Most common infectious diseases to cause respiratory infection symptoms are Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG or also known as Chronic Respiratory Disease), Coryza, or even Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILV). I’ll tell you the unfortunate truth about respiratory infections in chickens- if you don’t believe me, look it up for yourself. Unfortunately, unlike us humans, antibiotics will never cure the disease of affected or exposed birds. All your infected birds will remain carriers for life, spreading the diseases to non-infected birds through feces. If you introduce new birds to your existing flock, the newbies will become infected. If you hatch eggs, MG passes through eggs into the chick, if it survives. Most, of not, all poultry respiratory diseases are reportable to all 50 USA states. You must maintain a closed flock. No birds out, no new birds in. Do not sell nor give away eggs to be hatched. Your other option is to cull your entire flock and disinfect everything. Your infected bird(s) will remain immune-comprimised for life. It’ll resurface within times of stress. Here’s more information about the MOST COMMON disease in backyard flocks: http://www.gapoultrylab.org/wp-cont...coplasma handout for Backyard Flocks 4-12.pdf

Back
Top Bottom