Chicken cuddling?

I believe that chickens definitely know certain humans and other species that they interact with. My chicks all come on the run when they see me. They don't do so when they see other family members. Some breeds are apt to be more friendly. I peg Dominique in that category, and am now inclined to include Plymouth Barred Rock. At least one of my Dom chicks will ALWAYS stand on my foot, and beg to get picked up. One of the PBR chicks also seeks out extra attention from me. Some chicks will lay on their backs in my hands and close their eyes while I give them a facial massage. Chickens are far more intelligent than most folks give them credit for.
Oh I wish mine would do that. I have 4 Orpingtons and they are very affectionate unless I try to pick them up. I had another Orpington that died in April. I loved her as much as I ever loved any pet I have owned in my life. She would come when I called. She jumped up in my lap and laid down. I bought the 4 I have now about 2 years ago. But they aren't as personable . I miss that little chicken with my whole heart. She was my beloved pet

Last edited:
I have 12 buff Orpingtons and they are so sweet. They recognize my voice and stetch their necks to look at me. Several of them will perch on my arm and shoulder. They definitely know me and have developed a relationship with me as they grow. Some are a little more shy, but still very good personalities.

Back
Top Bottom