1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Cullers

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ThePRfan, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I just want any chicken cullers,could you guys do this in a much less violent way please?
    I watched a video on how you treat your birds and not so friendly.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i try my best to be as gentle as possible, but big cornish chickens who really want to not be hung upside down and butchered are not exactly the most calm...they make it look pretty violent. Though, i don't know what method you watched...some are totally more gruesome than others :)

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you referring to somebody specific? What exactly is violent? Help us help you.

If you need ideas on humane processing methods there are a couple good books:
    Small Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery
    Butchering... By Adam Danforth

4. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    My dad and his friend just killed my 2 breeder roosters without me knowing they were almost 2 years old but they both lacked mating and a lot of eggs were unfertile. As a Greek they just grab the roosters and cut there upper neck just under there head. And now I have no breeder roosters anymore... But im getting a new generation this spring as but won't be ready to mate late summer/fall..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by