Chicken Dead...didn't lay for 3 months

mlouski

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
I just found my Golden Comet dead...she hadn't laid for 3 months, but was not egg bound and didn't show any signs of distress. Over the past few days, i noticed she was losing feathers which i considered molting. She still ate, spared for scraps with the others but today, dead. I'm at a loss for what this might have been. I'm now down to one bird and i suspect she is not going to be very happy..

Any clues would be appreciated and any advice on introducing 2 new birds would be appreciated too.

Because she was a Golden Comet, a breed bred specifically for prolific egg laying, I would suspect internal laying. Instead of the eggs being formed like they should be and coming out of the body, the egg falls into the abdomen. They eventually die of infection or starvation. The feather loss would indicate malnourishment as well. You can look it up in the BYC search bar. Lots of info available. Not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately, and there is nothing you can do for it.

Sorry you lost your girl!
hugs.gif

We have three Golden Comets and they have wonderful personalities!!

Last edited:
Thanks...i don't think she was malnourished...she seemed awfully big...unless that's a symptom. She was energetic, too. That's what i can't figure out. Thanks for the reply.
good explanation of internal laying too...

I'm sorry to hear about your girl! I, myself, have lost 4 hens to internal laying!
sad.png
I know how hard it is, feeling so helpless and all!

Good luck with your other hens!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lost seven to internal laying and will lose another one today, then there are two more suffering the same fate. There's really nothing you can do--it's incurable and even if you give penicillin to stave off any infection, it only prolongs the inevitable.

I've moved your thread into the health section since there is a great deal of discussion of this condition here.

I too have lost several hens to internal laying over the years. Very frustrating knowing it's fatal and so random. Seems to get my favorite hens. So sorry.

Hmmmm, none of mine were hatchery, just silkie hens that were on layer feed. Guess I've lost about 6 or 7 over the past seven years.
Like I said, it's such a random thing, you never know who it's going to hit next. I can only liken it to cancer.

Back
Top Bottom