Chicken depression

liamando

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Scotland
I got three chickens last year one pekin Bantam a Dutch Bantam and a rooster I had to send the chicken to live on a local farm cause he was to loud < I live in a suburb>. Two other two continued on as normal. The Dutch one likes to hoard her eggs away from the coop normally in the garden in hidden places but now shes started laying outside the garden and spends long times away and comes back for only ten minutes to eat etc. I am worried my Pekin will become depressed or upset she is all alone. Should I get ore chicken.

Well, your hen is broody. She is trying to set those eggs. I would bring her and her eggs into a cat carrier or large box so she can hatch them out for you. She is at risk of predation if she is out of the coop all night.

Yes, always get more chickens! haha jk but there is no harm in getting another hen if you think the one that is Not broody is lonely/

Ghow long ago did u get rid of rooster? Need rooster for eggs to be fertile, so she is sitting on non-fertile you need to take them from her each day and eat/use or toss them.

Back
Top Bottom