Chicken Diarhea/Lethargy

TOWSHE

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
Hello. My chicken has a large amount of poo on its backside and there seems to be feathers missing as well as a reddish swelling on her backside too. I have had this with other chickens before (they become very lazy and unable to move a lot). I have had 2 deaths due to this.
What is the cause and how do I treat it?
Any prevention methods too?
Thank You

Do you have a rooster in with them? He could be causing this damage.
If a chicken gets one speck of blood showing? The others can and will peck it to death. If there is raw skin showing I always lathered on baby Desitine. The stuff for diaper rash!

Now! Are these hen's laying eggs? The bulging could be from them being egg bound. That egg needs to be gotten out ASAP!

TC

Do you have a rooster in with them? He could be causing this damage.
If a chicken gets one speck of blood showing? The others can and will peck it to death. If there is raw skin showing I always lathered on baby Desitine. The stuff for diaper rash!

Now! Are these hen's laying eggs? The bulging could be from them being egg bound. That egg needs to be gotten out ASAP!

TC

I do have a rooster with them now, but this happened with my 2 chickens that died without any rooster being present. They had diarrhea all of a sudden and became very sick and eventually died. I recently had another chicken with this case but she got better by herself (thankfully) ... I don't understand these excessive cases of diarrhea and their poo pretty much running down their backside (and hence getting stuck on them)

The bulging makes sense, thanks :)

I'd appreciate help with the diarrhea cases please! (Treatment/Prevention)

No her crop (the red crown on her head) is droopy. She drinks and eats but takes her time and does not rush to eat the scraps I throw in... they normally go crazy over it!

I asked the former to see if maybe she had "sour crop" - yeast infection! Doesn't sound like it though!
She might be impacted with a soft shelled egg then. The egg and poo come out of the same spot!
Need to check her to see if that's the problem!

TC

I dont worm them :/ i am going to be soon. I feed them egg-layer pellets

Check her for the bound egg!
Start worming them!
For anything else you have questions about?
At the top of the page there is this white block with advanced search
underneath it! Type your question in the block and hit search.
You'll have bunches of links pop up for ya!

As for what you feed them? They like a variety of foods too!
Ours eats ppl food as well as chicken food! :)

TC

Back
Top Bottom