chicken died after being lethargic and lost her comb

stoky996

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
hi we had to recently bury one of our chickens due to a illness i suspect it was parasitic but i want to make sure she was lethargic her breathing was fine her butt was always covered in poo so we kept cleaning her and her poo was a sulpher colour her comb was basically gone and what was there was black with a line of red on top we left her with the flock in the coup with water and food came home and found the other chickens on the other side of the coup and our chicken half slumped over the box we left her as sort of her own nest and her head was twisted backwards to her left i suspect blackhead, the other chickens are all fine no problems with them AT ALL none are lethargic or have diarrhea she also secluded herself from the others up untill a day or 2 ago when she displayed these conditions and then she would just sit in the corner of the coup and not move at all unless you left her for about half of the day then she would move to a different corner one time she was sitting literally in front of the door and then would also not move we had to pick her up to get her onto the her nest.

if any of you know what this is a reply would be much appreciated.
sorry for what inconsisties their are straight from memory and i am writing this at 1 in the morning.

Welcome to BYC @stoky996 :frow

I am sorry you lost your hen. By your description it might have been blackhead/histomoniasis, but the only way to be sure would be to send her in for a necropsy.

If you don't mind cutting her open yourself, you could do some kind of "home"-necropsy, as there would be telltale signs on her liver if it was blackhead.

Welcome to BYC @stoky996 :frow

I am sorry you lost your hen. By your description it might have been blackhead/histomoniasis, but the only way to be sure would be to send her in for a necropsy.
yeah suspected that looking blackhead up wikipedia says it is not contagious considering it is parasitic cleaned out the coup today when i found her and i reckon she either got a milipied but considering the geese and chickens avoid them i would say she ate a earthworm as they are freerange thanks for the reply soo quickly sad to see her go and so quickly i mean it took 3 days total amazing how quickly things can go south so anyway thanks for the reply

funny fact my geese literally run away from the chickens funny that mind you the geese are very calm geese literally squak only when you come to give them food or when we arrive back home.

Back
Top Bottom