chicken died and one looks like it's about to die

new york chick

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
I had one hen that stared to show signs of losing weight and was acting lethargic. I noticed I now have another that is acting the same way. It looks like it has signs of possible loose stool too. What is going on? I started the flock on antibiotic tonight, not sure if this could be bacterial or viral or even if it will effect the rest of my flock. Any suggestions. My 4 big girls are just over a year old and my young ones where purchased as chicks from tractor supply in the beginning of March.

I took one of my pullets to the vet today and loose stool was one of a couple of reasons why I took her in. I had, earlier today, taken in a stool sample for analysis and it turned out that there was evidence of two types of worms in the stool. The worms were causing abnormal stool and a loss in weight too. My girl was not lethargic but I suspect that if her condition had remained unnoticed then lethargy would no doubt have developed as well. I have four pullets and a cockerel which will all have to be treated. The remedy that the vet prescribed is an over-the-counter medication called Fenbendazole which I bought at the feed store under the brand name Safe-Guard; I believe that Panacur is another brand name.

I had originally thought that my chicks had coccidiosis and I tried treating them for that malady but it turned out that I had misdiagnosed the problem and medicated them for something that they did not have. I wanted to toss this alternative diagnosis out there for you in the event that your antibiotics do not have a positive effect; your chick could possibly have worms as well.

Good luck! I hope this is helpful to you.

Back
Top Bottom