Chicken died out of nowhere. Thoughts?

Cradd

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2022
Found one of my girls dead in the run this morning and wanted some thoughts on what it could possibly be. Her comb and wattles were bright red, she was eating and drinking fine, hadn’t seen her panting half as much as the other girls in this heat... but she hadn’t laid and egg in about a month and wasn’t as excited about special treats. It looks like she collapsed mid walk when she passed as one leg is splayed back behind her. She was about 1.5 years old.

Aww I'm so sorry!! I've lost a few girls, it sucks no matter how it happens.

If she hadn't laid in a month, it could've been she was egg bound or had egg yolk peritonitis - I lost one of my reds FAST to EYP, I noticed her belly was swollen and gave her meds, but the next morning she was gone. Did you notice swelling in your girl's belly?

Have you been giving them oyster shell for calcium? If so, do you offer it separately for free choice or mixed in their scratch? Too much can make them egg bound, and too little can cause EYP.

Or it could've been something else entirely. If they free range, they can get into stuff that's toxic or contaminated... it's hard to say. 🤔

Aww I'm so sorry!! I've lost a few girls, it sucks no matter how it happens.

If she hadn't laid in a month, it could've been she was egg bound or had egg yolk peritonitis - I lost one of my reds FAST to EYP, I noticed her belly was swollen and gave her meds, but the next morning she was gone. Did you notice swelling in your girl's belly?

Have you been giving them oyster shell for calcium? If so, do you offer it separately for free choice or mixed in their scratch? Too much can make them egg bound, and too little can cause EYP.

Or it could've been something else entirely. If they free range, they can get into stuff that's toxic or contaminated... it's hard to say. 🤔
I feed layena pellets it has calcium already included. She looked normal I mean she was a Wyandotte so she was always very busty looking compared to my other girls. A lot of people have been suggesting heat stroke but I don’t feel like that explains her not laying.

Back
Top Bottom