Chicken died overnight after day of lethargy, bad egg & yellow poo

LastMinuteLizzee

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2022
Hi. I'm heartbroken. I found Trixie, one of my Rhode Island Reds, dead in her nesting box this morning when I went to let them out of their coop. She had been acting normal but yesterday began acting lethargic, walking gingerly, not running when I offered food. While watching her I saw her pecking around. She didn't eat the seeds and the yogurt I offered, but she did eat a worm I unearthed and a little cauliflower, and I saw her drinking some water. She also pooped but I was in the house when I saw her and didn't go inspect it.

I did find very thin empty egg (like a bag) in the coop yesterday or possibly the day before but I wasn't sure it was her until I saw her acting weird. There was also a very runny light yellow poop in one of the nesting boxes and this morning when I picked her up there was a tiny bit of yellow runny poo and some liquid.

Other observations: My 4 chickens are about a year and a half old and for as long as I've had them (since January) they've laid 4 eggs almost every day. Like only once a week would I get 3. But lately it was happening more often that I would get 3 eggs but never knew who was "holding out on me".

Also, when we first got the chickens my dog got a hold of her but never was able to do more than carry her a few feet before I stopped her. That was in January and she seemed to be fully recovered and as I said was laying consistently.

My questions now are: what could have caused this, and could it be contagious? I don't have the money to have an autopsy so now I need to focus on protecting the rest of my flock.

** I just edited the age of my chickens because they were probably almost a year old when I got them in January.

Last edited:
No, you would have to open her up. It's possible that something went wrong when making an egg, which you *might* be able see during a necropsy.
That's what I thought you meant. No, I'm not comfortable doing that. I did look at her vent and it looks like a hemorrhoid, but not as severe as a prolapsed vent that I was able to find in an online search.

That's what I thought you meant. No, I'm not comfortable doing that. I did look at her vent and it looks like a hemorrhoid, but not as severe as a prolapsed vent that I was able to find in an online search.
Thats fine. I have had a few I couldn't look at either. I would think it likely isn't anything that can be passed around enough to be deadly. Keep an eye out for anyone else showing signs of slowing down though

Back
Top Bottom