Chicken died while brooding.

Yes, my entire family's favorite hen has died two days ago. The poor sweet thing died of apparent starvation while she was sitting on a clutch of eggs. She had made it to day 5, and apparently died sometime in the mid morning. She had constant access to fresh water and food, but it appeared she wasn't eating at all. It's very much heartbreaking and we really just want to know what exactly may have caused her death and what it is we could do differently. It's just devastating, she really was the world's sweetest chicken ever and we're all a little crushed...

Thanks.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I realize it was a few years ago now. This just happened to us on the night of day 16. Our light Brahma was also our favorite and I had noticed she stopped eating a few days before despite taking her out off the nest. She was so lethargic and then stopped drinking. She went down hill quickly. She was off her eggs for 12+ hours and I didn't think there was any hope but my son asked me to candle and low and behold we saw movement in all 3 eggs so I ran out to buy an incubator and on day 22 ... 2 little babies emerged! :) The 3rd didn't make it sadly but we are so grateful these 2 were fighters!
Photo Jul 09, 2 45 54 PM.jpg

I just found 2 of my extremely stubborn broody Parkin bantams dead. It looks like they just starved and dehydrating themselves to death. I tried everything. Moving them into an empty rabbit cage. Shutting the pop hole. Forcing them off the best. But they stayed broody all summer and every single time went back to the 1 egg another had laid!

I am sorry you lost them :hugs

Next time keep them with food and water in a light but not sunny area with lots of traffic, in an elevated metal cage with mesh bottom so they will get their butts ventilated.
Each night put the cage back into the coop but don't let the broody out. Then in the morning out with the cage again and continue for 7-10 days with stubborn broodies.

Make sure they eat and if they don't you can handfeed or tube feed them to prevent them from starving themselves to death.

Mites are also a problem with broodies, so inspect them carefully every evening and treat accordingly in case you find mites or lice on them.

Ok. NONE of my broody hens would get off the nest. EVER. I lift them off every morning and plonk them in front of water. They drink, walk over to feed, eat, walk around, poop, go back to their nest. I would’ve lost all 5 broodies to starvation.
Oh and while they’re broody, I put electrolytes in their water. To help them keep hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom