Chicken died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmcallister, Jul 31, 2013.

1. cmcallister

cmcallister New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    I have six, had six. One died today. They were fine at 11:30 but when I got home and let them out to free range, one was lying by water pail dead. She wasnt lying in it, but beside it. What happened? One of the eggs this morning had some blood on it. Could it have hurt her? They all run for food and treats so she was eating okay. I don't know which poops were hers. I bleached the waterer since her wing was lying in it and put fresh litter in coop. Will the others be okay? And how do I dispose of it? I double trash bagged it but trash day isnt until Monday and it is Wednesday night? I dont really have any usable space to bury her and cant burn "trash" here. : (

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wrap her in a clean garbage bag and put her body in the freezer until trash day. Blood on young pullet eggs is normal and nothing to worry about. Your hen probably had some defect that caused her to die prematurely like a weak heart. Most of us have gone through this with chickens. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by