chicken disappeared without a trace

ya.gif
I'm glad you found her!!!!!! Its always a good day when it ends up they where just misplaced and not gone for good!

My Barred Rock disappeared today. She's been laying for about a week everyday and today she laid an egg and then disappeared. I checked in my neighbors yard... I listened for her... I never heard any commotion... No idea.

What's this about hens going broody and disappearing? I haven't heard of that... Are chickens smart enough to find their way back?

Many times I was missing a chicken at nightfall. Often I find them in a tree close to the run, on top of the run (close to the hedera ‘hedge’) or in the hedge but not always. The ones I didn't find always came back the next day but there were 2 exceptions:
My chickens panicked because the dog of our neighbour wanted to play with the chickens. 1 hen, my Ini mini flew over two hedges and landed at a fenced in garden. Without the panic she couldn’t fly back or find her way home. But luckily the neighbour posted a picture of her in the neighbour whatsapp group. And I could pick her up the next day.
Hen nr 2 disappeared without a sign and never came back. I didn’t let the chickens free range unsupervised after that for many days. A week later I spotted a buzzard , flying in circles above our house. Because I have tiny chickens this was probably the bad guy who killed my lavender Dutch ‘Pino’.
All together I think I was lucky having my first casualty after 6 years.

@Tash76 maybe you should keep her locked up for a few days to prevent that she’s making a habit of sleeping outside. And watch where she is going around roosting time if you let her free range again.

@Tash76 maybe you should keep her locked up for a few days to prevent that she’s making a habit of sleeping outside. And watch where she is going around roosting time if you let her free range again.
I wish I knew this sooner, she went missing not long after she came home, still trying to find her to lock her up

Back
Top Bottom