chicken disappeared without a trace

meowmmy65

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Toledo
Is this the work of a hawk? My beautiful salmon faverolle is simply gone. The other 5 girls - larger breeds - are safe. No sign of a struggle, no sounds, nothing. Just gone.

So sorry.
sad.png

Could have been a hawk.

I've read about chickens disappearing and then showing up again, not feeling very hopeful, though. She is just 18 weeks, not laying eggs yet, so this isn't a case of a girl gone broody.
sad.png

could also be a dog. I had a couple to disappear, couldn't figure out what was going on. I knew there was a couple of hawks in the area. Til one day I walked out to find my daughters dog with a few feathers and chicken feet. She was eating feathers and all, I still want to kill that dog.
somad.gif

We have three dogs. They were in the house with us, but if another dog had been anywhere near our yard, they would have sounded the alarm. Besides, I don't think a dog would have taken one hen - without a trace - and left the others alone. Dogs aren't that "dainty" if you know what I mean.

Going to keep holding out hope that she is hiding and will show up tomorrow. I know, it's foolish of me.

We live in a typical neighborhood within the city limits. Windows are open - back door open, with the screen locked. I've got three dogs who all go nuts at the slightest sound in the yard. I can't believe any kind of canine would have been able to get in and out of my yard without setting off the "dog alarm." Plus - my yard is fenced with chain link on three sides and solid wood on the other. There aren't any easy openings for them to get in and out of without some noise.

Poor Lucy.

I know raccoons are real good at nabbing chickens and disappearing. No sign of a struggle or anything and it will keep happening as long as it has food (your other chickens) available to it I had my rouen drake go missing a week ago and we later found what was left of him tucked way on a shelf in our shed, WITH THE COON STILL EATING!!!!!
somad.gif
Needless to say the coon is no longer on this earth, but a coon will nab whatever it wants to eat, take it somewhere safe and keep eating on it until nothing is left and the grab another chicken given a chance, I'd set a live trap if I where you, and either relocate it, or "deal" with what you catch

Quote:
Thank you. I know it isn't likely, but I'm trying to be optimistic. My two daughters are devastated. The 17 yr old has been crying all night - can't focus on her homework. Lucy was a particular favorite. She was the smallest and the sweetest of our girls.

Back
Top Bottom