Chicken DIY Guide or How to Build legit?

Quote:
X2 I got this book to build this coop with a few modifications from the plans in the book.
60251_img00096-20101011-1804.jpg

I have never built anything like this before and would never have attempted it without the book.
and a big
welcome-byc.gif

Another option is to look for a free or cheap building, maybe on Craigslist. For 6 chickens, you are looking at something in the range of 24 square feet minimum. A little bigger would not be bad, but you have to be able to transport it. I'm not sure what your climate is, but for most of us, a wood or metal building would work. If you are in a colder area, maybe wood would be better. Once you get the building itself, finishing it off is not that hard. With six hens, four feet of roosts, two nesting boxes, and you are on your way.

If you are building from scratch, I suggest trying to stay with 4 foot or 8 foot dimensions. Most building material comes in 4' or 8' sections. Using these as your primary dimensions cuts down on waste, maybe cuts down on cutting, and you get a larger size for practically the same cost. Be careful. The 4' and 8' dimensions are out to out dimensions, not centerline dimensions. If you build your from with 4' or 8' centerline dimensions, it is a bit too big. Ask me how I learned that one.

Also consider how to do your roof. You really want an overhang so you can cut vents right at the top of your walls and have rain protection. If you build the rest say 4' x 8', the roof might get a bit more expensive. To me, it would be worth it, but something to consider. A sloped roof drains a lot better thana flat one too.

To me, for six hens, a 4' x 8' coop would be tremendous. However, if you build it 4 feet tall, you need to build it so you have access to all parts of the coop, partly for cleaning purposes and partly to be able to reach anything anywhere in there. Hinging one wall to either lay down or raise up is one way to achieve this. You could make a people door and go in, but that would be cramped.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck with it.

Quote:
These are two excellent points. I failed to build enough overhang with my first coop and lived to regret it. My second coop has one wall that opens up completely so I can easily reach in for cleaning. I prefer a full size, "walk in" coop, but having this feature in a raised coop is important, in my opinion.

Don't forget about ventilation as you plan your design, because you really won't enjoy having to cut holes in your coop once it's built and starts developing mold inside. Figure 1 square foot of vent per chicken high at the top of one or more walls so that you'll be able to leave the vents open or partially open even in cold weather. For summer, if you're in a warm climate, you'll want to have additional openings down at roost level for more air circulation so the coop doesn't become an oven (and also think about siting in the shade if your climate is hot in summer).

I like a very simple, shed style roof where you can put vents at the top of the front and back wall. This is the design I have for my third (and final!) coop, and I couldn't be more delighted with it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

Thank you for the notes about having a drop down wall, overhang, and vents. I love the building Elmo! Very nice. I am wondering how the cost Bob charges for building compares with what it would cost me to build something semi - similar (probably not as nice)?

You can DO IT!! Read as much as you can here for free, then post your sketches, then your designs, then any questions. This community is great to lead you through the process.

Back
Top Bottom