Chicken Doing a Crop Dance

1dermaker1

Songster
Feb 2, 2023
Kearneysville, WV
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Amberstar, Seems about the same.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. See video
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unsure
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating Scratch & Peck, Grower mash & Grower crumbles ( Using up the mash and be switching fully to the crumble, actually the next order is for Starter crumble with 20.50% protein) She gets greens, seeds and nuts, Greek yogurt/or cottage cheese about once a week. And forages in the yard between 2and 4 hours daily. She is eating regularly. She has access to electrolytes and plain clean water, and seems to be drinking normally.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop is normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? So far using azygous' advice, I used the gentle circular slightly upward massage for about a minute 2 times after seeing the behavior. I also smelled around her face but didn't really smell anyting sour. Before she went in the coop last night I checked her crop yesterday in the evening it was full but a little squishy. This morning it was mostly just squishy nothing hard or lumpy. I gave her the massage again, and am headed to the pharmacy to get some miconizole, for what I suspect is sour crop (Thanks to Azygous excellent article!)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I intend to treat her myself (Surprisingly bird vets are few and far here in West Virginia )
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. See Video
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
10x10 coop for 27 chickens, Deep Litter hemp.

It looks like she's just adjusting her crop to me - maybe check to make sure her crop is emptying though if you feel like there is an issue. Isolate her and take her in tonight, don't give her food/water over night, check her crop in the morning to make sure it is empty. If it's not empty, she may have an issue. Ours adjust their crops a lot especially at night if they eat a lot just before bed. Definitely alarming the first time you see it, but it's fine as long as the crop is still emptying okay.

Back
Top Bottom