Chicken Door to Run QUESTION? HELP??

n2thestorm5032

Songster
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Sparta (Spartucky), Michigan
I just built a chicken coop
big_smile.png
and I cut a door for the chickens to go out to the run and stuff, and I built a door blocker that slides down in front of the door at night. But as I really took a look at other peoples coops their chicken doors are off the ground and need a ramp, :eek: but I have mine on the ground, so I don't need a ramp. :eek: Is that a bad thing having the chicken door near the ground????!!!!!????
idunno.gif

the have a fenced in run, and the fence extends a foot into the ground, and door is on a path so if something were to push it, it wouldn't be able to get in and i am sure of that but you know its my first time owning chickens so I am a bit worried!

If something got to the pop door, could it be opened from the outside? Is your run covered and is that cover predator-proof? Almost all predators climb, even snakes.

There's no such thing as too much predator protection.

Check home page links below for some ideas. Lots of coops to check in the coop thread, too.
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have argued and argued with my husband to no end this weekend over this. He disagrees and thinks that I am ridiculous wanting to LOCK THE POP DOORS! grrrrrr.
he does not believe a raccoon can get in.

He is such a "weiney" and already cut the doors out. My chickens had better survive tonight or I am going to be one woman not to be reckoned with tomorrow

I argued and told him that this is NOT one of those situations that I want to be able to say "TOLD YOU SO"

I think that when DH (different meaning) goes to bed and to sleep... I am going to the shed to add security.

Sorry... I am really really angry at him! He thinks I have gone overboard with protection, where as I think it needs more!

I put a bunch of big stones in front of the door at night after i latch them in. It looks like I am closing them in a stone tomb or something.
lol.png

Everywhere else there is cement around the perimeter of the coop and on the floor inside. I want to protect my babies the best that a mother can.
:|

I think that when DH (different meaning) goes to bed and to sleep... I am going to the shed to add security.

Sorry... I am really really angry at him! He thinks I have gone overboard with protection, where as I think it needs more!

I totally agree with you on this one! I would do it! Better to be safe then sorry! You put alot of work and money into your chickens already and no sense taking a chance. I stapled hardware cloth to my doors and then nailed strips of plywood around the edge of the screen too!​

We haven't even built the door to the pen yet. The pen is only half finished. I am uploading pictures now.

I am describing the coop doors for the chickens to come out. They are not secure. He thinks this hinge he has that is spring loaded will keep them safe. NOT! It isn't THAT hard to open.

I would place a large rock or something in front of the door. Our chicken door into the run is only about 10 inches off the ground. When the girls go in at night I shut the door and place two large bricks in front of it. The run is as preditor proof as I can make it but you can never be too sure!

here they are.. too high for a big rock... I would have to search tonight in the dark.

I am going to go nail a piece of wood in front of each for tonight.

I want to make it so that we can slide a dowel across the front of them both each night.

l_3cea91642f582837cddf5bbd8a811836.jpg

Back
Top Bottom