Chicken Dreams

miniwarrior

Chirping
Feb 16, 2008
Austin, TX
The other night I had a very telling chicken dream. To understand it, though, first you'll need some background:

I have 6 chickens who I raised from little chicklets and are now grown into nice adult hens. They are all different: one Americauna-Myrtle, one buff orp- Butters, a gold and black sex link- Tawanda and Petrie, a brown leghorn- Roxy, and a barred rock- Lola. A little while back, they all got the foul fowl pox. All had a smooth recovery except for Petrie, who then had a cloudy eye thing going on and is picked on by all of the other birds, which I have read is a sign that she is sickly. She seems like she might slowly be recovering, but hasn't laid any eggs and I don't really know if she'll ever be completely healthy again. So, I started to seriously consider culling her, especially since she was being picked on so bad and we also have 4 new chicklets, who Tawanda is dutifully raising
big_smile.png
(I got 4 thinking they might not all make it, but now I think they're going to and it's going to be crowded)

But then.... a couple nights ago I had a dream. I dreamed that a friend and I had decided the time had come to put Petrie out of her misery. I caught her and was holding her. But then we realized that nothing had been prepared for the whole process. But then instead of putting her down and preparing everything, I just kept holding her as we got things ready- but before we could kill her it was time for dinner. So then, instead of putting her down- I went and ate dinner and was holding her at my side the whole time! After dinner, I walked to the Chickens' half of the yard and put Petrie back with everyone else. My friend asked me why I did that and I burst into tears and just repeated- "I can't do it! I just can't do it!"

Now, I've killed a chicken before- but never one that I've raised. I totally thought I'd be fine with it, but after this dream I really can't shake that feeling and start getting teary when I think of killing her! it's so weird! (and you thought you were the crazy chicken lady!)

Does anyone else have crazy chicken dreams?

I've had a few chicken dreams but I couldn't remember them well enough to tell you. As for Petrie, I hope she does recover.
I've had amazing results with Avia Charge 2000 on hens I thought were on their way out. It's a complete vitamin/mineral supplement that you put in their water. I've had them on it since late last winter. One hen, Poquita, got sick 2 yrs back and never seemed to fully recover her egg laying well. She would lay these aweful looking eggs and only about two a week. Being she's going on 4yrs old and hadn't layed an egg for about 6 months figured she wouldn't ever lay again. She's had free choice Avia Charge now for awhile and just a few weeks ago started laying again
th.gif
Granted, only 2 a week but they are big, smooth and beautiful. Actually, the prettiest eggs she's ever layed! Most of my older girls seem to have regained their vim & vigor and are much more robust that they were this time last year. Great stuff, Avia Charge 2000. I'll keep my chooks on it, free choice, year around.

Well, I've not had chicken dreams, but I just spent a day at the vet's office with a chicken in my lap surrounded by dog and cat owners. Don't be trying to take my crazy chicken lady title.
lol.png

Quote:
LOL! Don't worry, I'm sure you are a much crazier chicken lady than I!!! hehe.

keeper, thanks for the tip on Avia Charge- I will have to see if I can get any of that. sounds like liquid gold to me if it gets her healthy and laying again!

Back
Top Bottom