Chicken Dropped Dead - No signs - Necropsy Results On Post 32

sorry rob about your chicken.
your report as I decipher it: pretty much says she had an ovarian tumor, lots of fat in the abdomen. lymph nodes in the lungs were affected and contained dust particles, also affected the heart and the covering of the heart, kidneys and liver. The good news if there is any, it's not contagious- sure you figured that part out.
I'm glad to hear about that program. is it only for those in your state or can out of staters use it as well?

Yup, hens are fantastic at hiding illness.

Mahonri, she didn't show any signs that we could tell and we unfortunately can't tell who is / isn't laying (which is why I want to start rotating in various color egg layers).

hoppy, I'm not sure who they offer the service to. I'd assume that if the do the tests for out of state they probably charge (as they do for anyone with over 500 animals). It would be nice if each state may have their own office.

Sorry for the loss of your girl but what a wonderful service they offer and such a thorough report. So many on here never will know why there animal just spontaneously dies. Thanks for sharing the findings.

Well, the obvious is an ovarian tumor, but the mention of "lymphoid" so many times concerns me.

Can you call them up and ask if this was lymphoid leukosis?

The liver and multiple organs were involved here too.....

I would want that clarified.

Wow! So cool!!! Working in the medical field it's interesting to see what they do that is so similar in the veterinary field.

Basically she had advanced ovarian cancer that had beome necrotic (rotting) which in turn affected the remaining major organs such as the liver, heart, lungs, kidneys...

And it is confirmation that you feed your birds will since she had plenty of adipose tissue and well developed pectorals!!!

On the other hand...it's always difficult to lose one of our chickens. So sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty glad they didn't find anything that would cause us to have to worry about our entire flock.

One thing I was expecting was some notes regarding parasites. We don't worm our chickens so I assumed they would have some. So either they didn't check / test for them or they didn't find any. If nobody here knows whether or not the labs do these tests then I may just try to get a hold of someone over at the lab.

I think they would have mentioned parasites in the gross pathology / morphology section, if they had seen them. Also, when an animal is infectedwith parasites there are tell tale symptoms in other places. I think there would have been mention of abnormal morphology in the liver, kidneys, gut, ... different than what they mentioned. What they observed is consistent with overwhelming metastatic cancer.

caf.gif

Thanks for letting us know the results it was very interesting. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom