Chicken Dying as I Post This.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckking, Oct 27, 2012.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My 1 1/2 year old Jersey Giant Hen has had problems for the past 2 weeks. She was diagnosed with sour crop and put on antibiotics. She got better and started to act normal again. I went out to put them away tonight and noticed her lying on the ground i picked her up and she barley opened 1 of her eyes. She seemed like she was going unconscious. I brought her inside to the nice warm house and held her for a bit. She is breathing heavily with a slow hear beat. I know she is not going to make it... Im not sure if she is in pain but I just want her to go peacefully. Is there anything I should do? Right now she sits in the bathroom wrapped up in a towel. She is still breathing heavily and when I come in and touch her she opens one eye to look at me then closes it and falls back into her sleep. She has always been a great chicken and I am praying for her but if the worst happens at least ill be able to say goodbye.
    Thanks
    Jackson

2. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I'm shocked by this forum I'm home alone an only 16 and I would just really like some support right now guys I have no one here to comfort me.

3. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    I'm sorry Jackson, I'm a chicken newbie but dealing with a very sad chicken situation myself right now. So I know how hard it is! I can't offer any advice with my inexperience, but hopefully someone else can!

4. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thank you for the support unfortunately Onyx passed away tonight but she was comfortable and safe I hope your situation resolves its self better then mine did.
    Thank you

5. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. You should try to preserve her and take her to your states testing lab and have a necropsy done to know what was really going on.

6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thank you for taking the time to write, tomorrow she will be going to vet for a necropsy.

7. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    You're welcome. Make sure you give the vet a detailed description of all the symptoms you saw before she passed.

8. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I will for sure, this is the same that treated her when she was sick so he has seen the symptoms but I will deffinatly remind him.

9. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Good deal. Jerseys really are good birds, and friendly for the most part (except my jerk black jg roo)

10. tomhoogstra

tomhoogstra Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    Sorry for your loss.
    I lost a chicken the other day for unknown reasons, I think it was an internal problem.
    Was she sitting in a corner when you found her or in the middle of the coop/area?

With the last 2 hens I lost, they tended to go away somewhere they wont be interrupted and die.

Perhaps she had a stroke or something. Best of luck with the vet though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by