Chicken Dying as I Post This.

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
My 1 1/2 year old Jersey Giant Hen has had problems for the past 2 weeks. She was diagnosed with sour crop and put on antibiotics. She got better and started to act normal again. I went out to put them away tonight and noticed her lying on the ground i picked her up and she barley opened 1 of her eyes. She seemed like she was going unconscious. I brought her inside to the nice warm house and held her for a bit. She is breathing heavily with a slow hear beat. I know she is not going to make it... Im not sure if she is in pain but I just want her to go peacefully. Is there anything I should do? Right now she sits in the bathroom wrapped up in a towel. She is still breathing heavily and when I come in and touch her she opens one eye to look at me then closes it and falls back into her sleep. She has always been a great chicken and I am praying for her but if the worst happens at least ill be able to say goodbye.
Thanks
Jackson

I'm sorry Jackson, I'm a chicken newbie but dealing with a very sad chicken situation myself right now. So I know how hard it is! I can't offer any advice with my inexperience, but hopefully someone else can!

Thank you for the support unfortunately Onyx passed away tonight but she was comfortable and safe I hope your situation resolves its self better then mine did.
Thank you

Thank you for the support unfortunately Onyx passed away tonight but she was comfortable and safe I hope your situation resolves its self better then mine did.
Thank you
Sorry for your loss. You should try to preserve her and take her to your states testing lab and have a necropsy done to know what was really going on.

I will for sure, this is the same that treated her when she was sick so he has seen the symptoms but I will deffinatly remind him.
Sorry for your loss.
I lost a chicken the other day for unknown reasons, I think it was an internal problem.
Was she sitting in a corner when you found her or in the middle of the coop/area?

With the last 2 hens I lost, they tended to go away somewhere they wont be interrupted and die.

Perhaps she had a stroke or something. Best of luck with the vet though.

Back
Top Bottom