chicken eating feathers

BladeFireLight

Chirping
9 Years
May 12, 2014
I have six 5 week old easter eggers and this morning there was some excitement in the brooder with Lara running around with something sticking out of her beak with the others chasing her. Turns out what looked like small stick was the base of a 4 inch feather.

not sure if it was plucked or fell out. but is it normal for them to try to eat a whole feather? she was taping her beak on the floor trying to push it further inside.

They have only had purena non medicated starter crumbles. I would think they would not have a dificency in anything

It's not a matter of deficiency but just needing that extra protein at times; growth spurts, molting & egg laying. I feed Flock Raiser (20% protein) to my chicks & adults, put out a spare dish of Oyster Shells for those laying. You can scramble up some eggs for them as treats, mealworms, extra protein for them.

I have six 5 week old easter eggers and this morning there was some excitement in the brooder with Lara running around with something sticking out of her beak with the others chasing her. Turns out what looked like small stick was the base of a 4 inch feather.

not sure if it was plucked or fell out. but is it normal for them to try to eat a whole feather? she was taping her beak on the floor trying to push it further inside.
I hope you were able to get it out.
Sounds like a case of 'eyes larger than stomach'.
It's normal for them to eat feathers, and a lot of other things, but if they get something too big to swallow, well......it can be a problem.

One of the big chicken-producing companies used to run a TV commercial where it was pointed out that OTHER producers allowed their chickens to eat, among other things, feathers!

I KNOW these folks realize that chickens eat feathers. They were taking advantage of people who didn't know it was completely normal and natural by trying to make it disgusting.

Your little EE is doing what comes naturally, but, yes, her eyes should not be bigger than her stomach -- or, in this case, her beak.

I hope you were able to get it out.
Sounds like a case of 'eyes larger than stomach'.
It's normal for them to eat feathers, and a lot of other things, but if they get something too big to swallow, well......it can be a problem.
oh we got it out but she seems to like to scare us about it now.. twice I have had to chase her down to remove what looks like the end of a feather but turns out to be a piece of wood chip she is holding in her beak like a cigar.

Maybe she's just mischievous and likes to see you panic? It could be worse.

Years ago, a hail storm took out several windows of my house and scattered broken everywhere. My geese like to carry around chunks of glass that they've dug up out of the ground. I'm sure they're doing it to scare me; they are very naughty girls.

Back
Top Bottom