Chicken eating its own poop all the time

cqrmskbans

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2022
I got a 6 month old serama hen a few days ago and I've noticed that she really likes to eat her poop. It's not a once in awhile thing, she does it every time. She'll start by pecking out things like grit but eventually the poop is mostly gone. I know poop eating in general is normal but is something wrong if she eats it all the time?

Instinctively she thinks there's something in poop that she needs; I'd guess something in the animal protein range. Try offering her a little cooked fish or meat; e.g. tinned sardines are cheap and very nutritious, or a little cat food if you have it.

The same morning I posted this I had noticed that her crop didn't empty overnight. I'm not sure how long it's been that way, but I fed her warm water/oil and massaged it and it passed. Afterwards she is not nearly as interested in eating her own poo. Maybe she wasn't getting enough nutrition since food wasn't passing through her crop well and that's why she was eating her own poo? She was not eating the rooster's poo though.

Back
Top Bottom