chicken eatting its eggs

wildroofer

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
I have 11 Rhode island red hens and two roosters. I have a feeder that holds 25 lbs of feed. I give them 20% laying pellets, Oyster shells and grit. Oyster shells, grit and feed is there for them 24/7. 7 of the are one year old. The others are 4 months old.I was getting 4 eggs a day for about 4 weeks with no trouble. Now when I go out all the eggs have been pecked open. Only thing that is there is 4 sometimes 5 empity shells. I do not know what is wrong. I like to know what is the trouble. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I had a friend that was having the same issue. His simple resolution was to place golf balls in the nesting boxes. The hens would peck them and find it unpleasantly hard and with out reward. They stopped eating the eggs soon after the " trick ".

I put golf balls in nest. That has stopped them from eating their eggs. I have 7 one year old and 4 6 Months old. I have been getting 5 eggs a day. Thanks for all the help.

Nothing you are doing wrong - you just have a hen who has discovered that eggs are yummy. Unfortunately once they start it is difficult to deter them. You can google how to make a rollaway nest box and some people find this to be a viable solution. I've never had an egg eater but for my situation, before I revamp my entire set up to incorporate rollaway nest boxes, I'd probably just cull the culprit (which would involve figuring out for sure which one it is).

Nothing you are doing wrong - you just have a hen who has discovered that eggs are yummy. Unfortunately once they start it is difficult to deter them. You can google how to make a rollaway nest box and some people find this to be a viable solution. I've never had an egg eater but for my situation, before I revamp my entire set up to incorporate rollaway nest boxes, I'd probably just cull the culprit (which would involve figuring out for sure which one it is).
I have seen some folks say they can find yolk on the face of one or two and pull them out. No pun intended.

Its funny you say it is a RIR. I have a flock of 35 chickens, two are RIR's, and I had a egg eater. I finally saw the evidence on ones beak and it was one of my reds. I had read somewhere on this site from an old timer chicken keeper to do nothing. That is what I did and she eventually stopped. Just me personally, I would not cull her. If you find out which one it is try separating her for a while. I also tried to pick up the eggs as soon as I could.
Good luck,
Marie

Thanks. I was going to separate her for a little time. I hope she stops.I have another small pen. I was going to put two in it at a time to see if I could find out which one it is. I gone for work for 12 hours a day. My wife is gone for 8. But I hope this works.

Back
Top Bottom