Chicken egg just DISAPPEARED from coop!

drp1ckles

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2019
Hi everyone! If any one of you remember, I let one of my hens, Penguin, sit on one egg. Today is the 21st day, (and would of hatched) and so I went outside to check out the egg to see if it was hatching. To my surprise, THE EGG WASN'T THERE! There was another egg there, but it was freshly laid. I checked all over the coop and there was no trace of the egg! (I also marked the egg with a sharpie a few weeks back so that I knew which one not to take out.) I had all the doors locked for the coop, so no predators could get in, and we have chicken wire underground on the outside of the coop so no predators could dig their way in either.

Is it possible that Penguin ate the egg? There was no sign of blood or eggshells, and none of the chickens seemed to be in distress. My mom said nobody took that egg out.

(Also, before anyone asks, I let her hatch only one egg because I'm only allowing one chick to be hatched, I know you guys probably won't like that, but I mean it's also a learning experience for me to learn how to take care of one from birth. Also, my mom won't allow us to hatch more than one)

Any help appreciated!

Maybe the little runt did hatch outta the egg and momma hen ate the shell? The runt may be hiding somewhere in there.......

Maybe the little runt did hatch outta the egg and momma hen ate the shell? The runt may be hiding somewhere in there.......
That's a good point, but I was looking throughout the whole coop and didn't see it.
Did you candle the egg to make sure it was developing?
Yes, I was. I actually didn't though until around day 15 or so because that's when I learned about egg candling.

I didn't see any traces of blood and eggshells, and why would they wait until the 21st?
Unfortunately I’ve seen my chickens swallow some pretty large toads...whole. No blood. :oops: But I’m going to really hope your little one hatched and is just hiding somewhere!!!

Unfortunately I’ve seen my chickens swallow some pretty large toads...whole. No blood. :oops: But I’m going to really hope your little one hatched and is just hiding somewhere!!!
I'm hoping that too, but sadly when I went to look for the egg in the coop, I didn't hear any peeping or any noises.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also thank you to everyone for replying and such,

Back
Top Bottom