Chicken Emotions / Compassionate Chickens...

Wee Farmer Sarah

Enabler
5 Years
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Last week one of my hens (Suzy Q) was looking poorly. She was about halfway through her molt when it seemed she was having a relapse. Shivering with the early unusual cold temperatures, I scooped her up and brought her inside my house. I kept her inside for 5 days and made sure she was eating. She immediately shed more feathers, but finally started looking perkier. Her comb returned to a nice healthy red so I thought it was time to take her back to her cousins in the coop. Although she was still a little weak I watched her closely and hand fed her to make sure she was eating. When I went to close the pop door for the night I noticed there were two hens sitting on the roost in the run. Sure enough it was my little Suzy Q. I felt better that she was strong enough to fly up to that 40 inch high roost. But the real surprise was her companion. Big Buffy, a very robust RIR hen was keeping her company. I carried them both into the coop and they started moving toward the roost with the other birds. One of my BR pullets snapped at Suzy Q, then Buffy just kind of gave her a look and the BR moved away and Suzy Q made her way to the roost next to the rooster. This was so surreal. My little flock is normally a rowdy gang of whiney "two year old kids." Here they were acting like a loving family. Call me crazy, or maybe chickens are evolving and developing emotional ties to their flock members. Am I reading too much into this?

Quick update on Suzy Q: just fed her and the other molting hen some warm scrambled eggs. The temps got as low as 14F this morning but the coop was around 22F. They are both doing well with the cold temps but still spending more time inside the coop. Will have some warmer temps for a few days starting tomorrow so that should help them gain more strength. Buffy is back to her usual self outside the coop. Their combs are healthy looking so it’s all good for now.

Well not human emotions as far as compassion goes.
Flock dynamics are in play and pecking order. I have older Bantam hens and introduced a Sebright Hen to my flock last spring. She quickly buddied up to my top Rosecomb Hen. She even helped raise the Chicks my Rosecomb had. They are inseparable and stick close to my Rooster.

Back
Top Bottom