toaster

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
2 days ago i got an unwanted fox visit . ( In context I'm a minor and live with my father so it's harder for me to do things on my own[like vet visits and purchases on my own}) Thankfully my father saw it and stopped him. he was persistent. The fox cam back around and got a hold of one of our chickens. my father scared it away when he was on top of her.she did loose A LOT of feathers Although her skin wasn't broken she's been sitting there with her head down barely moving. we put her beak in some water to encourage her to drink. She put it in her mouth like she was going to drink it but she wouldn't put her head up to swallow it.
i couldn't seem to get the syringe in her mouth. Does she have any internal injuries.whats wrong with her neck,is she just in shock HELP.

now she cant open her eyes fully. she lost almost all the feathers on her neck. A brain injury?a damaged nerve?

Last edited:
I had a chicken look like that before, I didn't see what happened to it, but we think it was a fox. It couldn't eat, drink, or walk, and I fed it with a syringe for about a week, but she eventually died. Unfortunately, your chicken probably doesn't have a very big chance of survival:(, but put her in a quiet area, and after she has rested for a while, do the best you can to get her to eat and drink. Hopefully she doesn't have a broken neck.

I had a chicken look like that before, I didn't see what happened to it, but we think it was a fox. It couldn't eat, drink, or walk, and I fed it with a syringe for about a week, but she eventually died. Unfortunately, your chicken probably doesn't have a very big chance of survival:(, but put her in a quiet area, and after she has rested for a while, do the best you can to get her to eat and drink. Hopefully she doesn't have a broken neck.
Ok thank you she just stood up for a couple seconds a minute ago.Hoping this is a good sign..

I had a bird get grabbed by a hawk in December. Same thing. Lost a bunch of feathers, but we couldn't figure out if it was more serious than that. The next day, I found her under the coop - tail down, in a hole, very very sad.

We think she was in shock from the attack and couldn't bring herself to lay the egg she had brewing.

Here's what we did. We brought her inside to the basement - made her a nesting area in a wide tub, with some shavings and some towels. We did the syringe with water, but also with some sav-a-chick, which has electrolytes. We also gave her a calcium pill (just put it in her beak, she'll swallow it), which helps them lay the egg. I'd also make up some scrambled egg, to see if she'll eat it - and leave some regular feed with her, too (you might want to wet it, make it like oatmeal, sometimes it's easier for them to eat).

But try again with the syringe. She can do without food for a little bit, but you want her hydrated, esp if she's in shock.

And then we also left her in the dark, warm quiet. I thought we were going to lose her - she was tail down, head down, feeling very poorly. And then she laid her egg right in the tub later that night, and she felt a lot better. This was winter so we brought her in one more night, and she also molted (!) from the surprise, but she wound up being ok.

I can't guarantee any of this will work for you. She might be injured internally; there's no way to tell without getting her to a vet. But if you put her somewhere warm, safe, comfy and dark, get some water and maybe some food in her, and the calcium pill (just a regular calcium vitamin - there are lots of recommendations on the board) - if she is just in shock and needs some time to recuperate and get that egg laid, that should help.

Good luck! I hope she pulls through.

I had a bird get grabbed by a hawk in December. Same thing. Lost a bunch of feathers, but we couldn't figure out if it was more serious than that. The next day, I found her under the coop - tail down, in a hole, very very sad.

We think she was in shock from the attack and couldn't bring herself to lay the egg she had brewing.

Here's what we did. We brought her inside to the basement - made her a nesting area in a wide tub, with some shavings and some towels. We did the syringe with water, but also with some sav-a-chick, which has electrolytes. We also gave her a calcium pill (just put it in her beak, she'll swallow it), which helps them lay the egg. I'd also make up some scrambled egg, to see if she'll eat it - and leave some regular feed with her, too (you might want to wet it, make it like oatmeal, sometimes it's easier for them to eat).

But try again with the syringe. She can do without food for a little bit, but you want her hydrated, esp if she's in shock.

And then we also left her in the dark, warm quiet. I thought we were going to lose her - she was tail down, head down, feeling very poorly. And then she laid her egg right in the tub later that night, and she felt a lot better. This was winter so we brought her in one more night, and she also molted (!) from the surprise, but she wound up being ok.

I can't guarantee any of this will work for you. She might be injured internally; there's no way to tell without getting her to a vet. But if you put her somewhere warm, safe, comfy and dark, get some water and maybe some food in her, and the calcium pill (just a regular calcium vitamin - there are lots of recommendations on the board) - if she is just in shock and needs some time to recuperate and get that egg laid, that should help.

Good luck! I hope she pulls through.
thank you so much

good/bad news. she has regained enough strength to tilt her head a bit.
unfortunately she's using it to (successfully) shake her head right away from my hands and syringe. i added some chick saver to the water as-well (hope that will help later). now time for the tricky part, calcium.

Last edited:
There are some folks on this board that can handle their birds solo, but for me - it's always a two person job. One to hold onto the bird, the other to do what needs doing. Maybe your dad can help you by holding her?

But squirmy might be good! My girl was feeling so bad she just kind of let whatever happen.

Remember that she's just had a big shock. Imagine if, I guess, basically a lion nearly got you. Even if you were ok - you'd be real unsettled. She might just need time to be someplace she feels safe and have a snooze. So, if you can't get any water or the pill in her now, give her a couple quiet hours just to see if she can chill out for a bit and rest.

Sending good vibes for you and your hen. Please let us know what happens.

for me - it's always a two person job. One to hold onto the bird, the other to do what needs doing. Maybe your dad can help you by holding her?
i couldn't seem to get the syringe in her mouth.
If you cant hold her head still, kneel down, put her between your knees, and use your thumb and index on one hand to hold her beak open. Also, put the syringe in from the side of her beak, not the front.

Last edited:
If you cant hold her head still, kneel down, put her between your knees, and use your thumb and index on one hand to hold her beak open. Also, put the syringe in from the side of her beak, not the front.
update

I got a little bit of water in her, and a lot on her. She's always been an abnormally fast and stubborn chicken.
I added a (human) calcium supplement to some of the water along with electrolyte powder.
I started putting drops on her beak, she drank a little bit of that.
I gave her wet food dry food,yogurt,eggs,even tried cat food. She wasn't having any of it.
I'll try again tomorrow.

There are some folks on this board that can handle their birds solo, but for me - it's always a two person job. One to hold onto the bird, the other to do what needs doing. Maybe your dad can help you by holding her?

But squirmy might be good! My girl was feeling so bad she just kind of let whatever happen.

Remember that she's just had a big shock. Imagine if, I guess, basically a lion nearly got you. Even if you were ok - you'd be real unsettled. She might just need time to be someplace she feels safe and have a snooze. So, if you can't get any water or the pill in her now, give her a couple quiet hours just to see if she can chill out for a bit and rest.

Sending good vibes for you and your hen. Please let us know what happens.
she's standing up like she wants to get up and wander in the run. but she wont eat or drink on her own. I'm forcing her to drink water. i put some of the really sugary grape jelly on a spoon and after a while of it being on her beak she ate it.
One of her eyes wont open now and she is having a lot of trouble seeing.

thank you so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom