Chicken excessively yawning, shaking head and throwing food around.

Pa the vet dismissed an inner ear infection, but I’ve read on here they are hard to get rid of so recent antibiotics may not have done it. He’s taken a swab for culture but guess that would only show middle or outer ear infection
Ok, hopefully you can get access to the video here
Try uploading video to Google photos..then create link.. should copy to clipboard...tap infinity sign (top arrow)....should bring up your URL in Taskbar (bottom arrow) touch and post 2 thread..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231006_051122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_051122_Chrome.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 4
Try uploading video to Google photos..then create link.. should copy to clipboard...tap infinity sign (top arrow)....should bring up your URL in Taskbar (bottom arrow) touch and post 2 thread..
I’ve tried on something called streamable, copied url so hoping it works! Thanks!

Aww man...idont have flickr or streamable.???..old folks right???lol...hey Im just glad ur trying. Shows you care. @Wyorp Rock is the "go to" for chicken s around here. Think he knows more about chickens than they do about themselves. Always positive too.

Aww man...idont have flickr or streamable.???..old folks right???lol...hey Im just glad ur trying. Shows you care. @Wyorp Rock is the "go to" for chicken s around here. Think he knows more about chickens than they do about themselves. Always positive too.
you shouldn't need either to view the video as its available to the public! But not to worry, and thank you for tagging people!

Can you get some photos of her ears and of the inside of her beak?

You've treated for worms correct? What did you use?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
I will try and get some photos. Yes she's been treated for worms - flubenvet was used and also the ivermectin for gapeworm. I can't see anything in her beak but the ears are still hot to touch and i think have some gunge around them. She actually likes me softly rubbing them!

So, I sent a video to the vet who saw her and did some tests (still waiting on results) of her neck yawning as she didnt do it when he saw her and he immediately said that he didn't think it was neurological but a pain reaction (which I'd thought). So, I paid for her to have a CT scan! Yes I know I might be mad, but this is what a chicken mad lady i am. And i feel even if she can't be helped, we might at least know why. Also this might help others on this forum. I have to wait for these results too - hopefully get them all on Monday. Couldnt come sooner as she is not comfortable (she is now on additional painkillers).

Can you get some photos of her ears and of the inside of her beak?

You've treated for worms correct? What did you use?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Hi, I’ve got some nu stock, is this safe to use around her ears or in them? She is still scratching them lots and then the yawning happens. Hoping to get her test results on Monday but that’s still a day away and want to bring her as much comfort as possible!

Yes she's been treated for worms - flubenvet was used and also the ivermectin for gapeworm. I can't see anything in her beak but the ears are still hot to touch and i think have some gunge around them. She actually likes me softly rubbing them!

Hi, I’ve got some nu stock, is this safe to use around her ears or in them? She is still scratching them lots and then the yawning happens. Hoping to get her test results on Monday but that’s still a day away and want to bring her as much comfort as possible!
She may have ear canker, hard to know, but hopefully your vet can figure it out.

The stretching of the neck reminds me of a bird trying to clear the crop, it may be sour/fungal infection and/or canker (trichomanias). I wonder if she's got a blockage.

Your vet can do a fecal float to determine if she has worms/check for Gapeworm. Ivermectin is not usually the treatment of choice for Gapeworm here in the U.S., it's not that effective. However, the Flubenvet should treat Gapeworm if given correctly for treating Gapeworm - I believe it is supposed to be given as 3 doses 1 week apart for treating Gapeworm, but ask your vet, it should be in their formulary.
Panacur (Fenbendazole) and Albendazole are both good to use for Gapeworm.

As for using NuStock in the ears, I'm not certain about that. If they are gunky, then if she were mine, I'd use 1 drop of Peroxide in the ear, let it bubble up, wipe clean. Repeat once more if necessary. A thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment can be applied in the ear.

Does she have any mites or lice?

Back
Top Bottom