1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken eye colors

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chknaddict, Jun 27, 2009.

1. chknaddict

chknaddict Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I wasn't sure where this would go, so am putting it here. We've had chickens only a few months, and our first few pullets all seem to have bright golden eyes. Now we have a 9 week old presumed rooster (Barred Rock) and he's got pretty green eyes. Does eye color vary by breed? I know Silkies have dark eyes, but what about others?

Thanks.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants Premium Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I know Australorps have black eyes

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    All my BRs have orange eyes. My L Brahma X BRs have green eyes, well 2 of those crosses have gray eyes.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Yup, eye color varies by breeds.. most common are red, golden, and brown. but some come black.. Oriental gamefowl (and maybe more though i haven't seen it) come a gray color a lot of the time.. Maybe other breeds too but those are the only ones i know of.

-Daniel

PS. I've seen some weird eye colors over the years though, some that looked like a mixture of colors..

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    my barred has green,love her! My others have amber color

6. chknaddict

chknaddict Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Interesting, our Black Australorps have the amber eyes, too. As well as the Buff Orpingtons, RIR, Welsummer, and sex-links. So far the only green-eyed one is our BR.

Thanks for the answers.

7. Cyberous

Cyberous Chillin' With My Peeps

My RIR's had green eyes that turned orange/red.

My new BO chicks have green eyes too, wonder if they will turn color as they mature?

Don

8. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    My little partridge rock roo (that I found a wonderful home for) has the most BEAUTIFUL green eyes. They seemed to get more and more green as he got older. I never knew chickens could have green eyes!

9. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I have a variety of different chicken breeds, and also a variety of different eye colors among them. My favorite eye color was this roo I got from another BYC'er, and while we don't know what he is, he is gorgeous. We suspect he's possibly a Cuckoo Maran mix cause he has a cuckoo pattern and pink legs. When I first got him he was about 7 or 8 weeks old, and he had blue eyes! He was so beautiful! He is now about 12 weeks old and his eyes have changed from that lovely blue to a light amber that is almost yellow. He's still a very handsome boy.

10. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    How come everyone elses BRs have green and my girls are orange?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by