Chicken falling over

Cindy-her6

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
Help,

My 6 week leghorn just started falling sideways and now backwards. She uses her wing to try and gain her balance but can't.

I removed her and secluded her from the other chick. She has no other visible symptoms. No drainage from eyes, no breathing issues, I've looked over her legs, feets, vent, wings nothing seems wrong.

I have to hand feed her and dip her beak in water that I added nutridrench to. It doesn't seem to be helping. I just sent the husband to get poly-vi-sol. She is very lethargic and just sleeps in my arms. It started yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210412_162814.jpg
    20210412_162814.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 34
Help,

My 6 week leghorn just started falling sideways and now backwards. She uses her wing to try and gain her balance but can't.

I removed her and secluded her from the other chick. She has no other visible symptoms. No drainage from eyes, no breathing issues, I've looked over her legs, feets, vent, wings nothing seems wrong.

I have to hand feed her and dip her beak in water that I added nutridrench to. It doesn't seem to be helping. I just sent the husband to get poly-vi-sol. She is very lethargic and just sleeps in my arms. It started yesterday.
Was she vaccinated for Marek's disease?

Sorry about your pullet. Does she seem able to move both legs and wings? What does her poop look like? Although Mareks disease might be a possibility, I would make sure that she is no dehydrated. The NutriDrench and fluids may help. Coccidiosis can occur at this age, and may cause runny poops, lethargy, weakness, not eating, and being puffed up. Corid treats coccidiosis. It would not hurt to treat her with Corid just in case. If you do, dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. I prefer to keep chickens together for company and to encourage eating, unless they are being hurt or bullied. If coccidiosis may be a problem, I would treat both chickens at the same time.

Mareks symptoms usually occur in chickens who are a little older, but it is possible that symptoms can occur at 5 weeks of age. More commonly they occur after a few months old. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Help,

Did you find anything to help her? I've been working on our hen that is about 8 months old...she is completely lethargic...she eats if I feed her and give her water but its alot of work for her to hold her head up..i'm giving her electrolytes in her water and a vitamin mixture with molasses that we got at the feed store but today is the 4th day of this and I don't see improvement.....I feel so bad for her and dont know what else to do....

I’m having the same issue. No sign of Marek (99% she was vaccinated) she’s almost 9 years old. Looks find on the outside, comb red, no mites etc and I inspect daily.
she’s been like this (off balance, can barely stand up) for over a week. I’ve been feeding her through a syringe (blend food like a smoothie) .... I checked a few days ago for an egg (egg bound) but nothing. Any help would be so nice. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom